Thread poster: Lisa Reutenauer
Lisa Reutenauer
Lisa Reutenauer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:41
English to French
+ ...
Aug 21, 2023

I just finished translating a real estate sale agreement from French to English and the French notary agent tells me that the English speaking party for whom this translation is for needs to sign the document BEFORE I stamp (sworn translator stamp) and sign it.  I've never had to do this before, but she asserts that this is how the translator she had hired in the past had done it.
Any experience with this? Are there any regulations concerning this?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lisa Aug 21, 2023

If my memory serves me correctly, I’d say that all the sworn translations I’ve done have been signed before (birth, death and marriage certificates, divorce decrees, adoption papers, pre-nuptial agreements, wills, notary contracts, diplomas, scholar certifications, company statutes, etc.).

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

notary wants sales agreement signed before translation stamp

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »