target language proficiency certificate
Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 09:26
English to Romanian
Nov 21, 2023

I have just checked a job posting for my language combination.
If I am native in Romanian (the target language), what's a "target language proficiency certificate"?

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
Local time: 08:26
German to English
+ ...
Language proficiency at C2 level? Nov 22, 2023

The client is asking for proof that the translator is proficient in the target language. The required exam certificate might well be at C2 level of the CEFR. The same thing often happens when exam centres advertise for language examination examiners.

If you are a native speaker, you are unlikely to have taken a C2 exam, so you must find some other way of showing that you are capable of doing a good translation into the target language. It is not sufficient to say that you are a na
... See more
The client is asking for proof that the translator is proficient in the target language. The required exam certificate might well be at C2 level of the CEFR. The same thing often happens when exam centres advertise for language examination examiners.

If you are a native speaker, you are unlikely to have taken a C2 exam, so you must find some other way of showing that you are capable of doing a good translation into the target language. It is not sufficient to say that you are a native speaker. That would be like saying you are qualified to teach a language just because you speak it fluently. Most language schools require an academic degree in teaching. Most clients want translaters to have a qualification in translating.

Not all speakers of a language are at C2 level, as this depends on their formal academic education. Other "natives" grew up in a bilingual environment and had their schooling in the "other" language and are not really fluent enough in the target language.

So this is why the client is asking for a language certificate.

How would you prove your suitability, S_G_C ?
Collapse

neilmac
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Red tape anyway Nov 25, 2023

You can spend your time proving to them somehow that you're a native speaker (I can't really think of a way to do it if I were you, and anyway, I wouldn't bother), it's 99% another useless agency red tape that wouldn't bring you any real work.

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

target language proficiency certificate

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »