Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:18
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Of course Dec 4, 2023

kd42 wrote:

This happens in Russian all the time, because the agency does not have a Russian linguist and relies on an underpaid intern who runs check with a couple of lame overhyped "Quality-Assurance" "tools".
There is noting that can be done about it because freelancers are generally too tolerant to being abused.

This trend is gaining momentum everywhere. Huge corporations invest millions into hardware, software, and routines which help them work, but ultimately allow them to ditch their old employee the moment he asked for a raise, pick a random Uber taxi driver, train him for a week and replace the old employee without a problem. The results are often good, so the translation agencies want to believe they can do it with language. It is impossible with language, will always be, but they won't stop trying.

Of course they won’t, as somebody had sold them a fake marketing story at some seminar about a “magic tool” that will allow them to ditch 80% of their emoloyees and increase their profit. They bought it as people innately want to believe in magic (yes, even CEOs and business people do).

kd42

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 08:18
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Dec 4, 2023

kd42 wrote:
There is noting that can be done about it because freelancers are generally too tolerant to being abused.

Although part 2 of your sentence may by true, I don't agree with part 1. It's not difficult to refuse being further abused if you feel like it is happening to you. I can apply a certain flexibility towards my clients in terms of answering questions after my translation work, but there is not the slightest possibility that I would accept what the person above has been accepting.

The process is actually simple : you deliver a translation and if your client thinks your translation doesn't comply with the standards, it is up to your client to prove so. If he does, you need to take your responsibility. If he doesn't or can't, life goes on.

Lingua 5B
Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen
kd42
Ying-Ju Fang
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PM asking to perform numerous follow up tasks for free

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »