Thread poster: Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:24
French to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2004

Does anyone know whether Wordfast works with the OpenOffice word processor? My boyfriend is trying to convert me to open-source software, and OpenOffice looks very good in general, but if I can't use Wordfast with it then I'm sticking with Word.

More generally, which CAT tools work with which word processors?

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast and OpenOffice Sep 14, 2004

Angela Dickson wrote:

Does anyone know whether Wordfast works with the OpenOffice word processor?

No. OpenOffice.org has its own macro language (Star Basic). In theory, Wordfast could be ported to Star Basic, but apart from the work involved in porting, I understand that this would also make Wordfast much slower.

OpenOffice looks very good in general, but if I can't use Wordfast with it then I'm sticking with Word.

You might consider keeping Word and Wordfast but switching from Windows to an open-source operating system (Linux). You can do this using Crossover Office. Corinne McKay has a dedicated page on the subject at www.translatewrite.com/wflinux.html.

More generally, which CAT tools work with which word processors?

This would fill a whole chapter, but you can find more info on the open-source options at www.linuxfortranslators.org/linux/tm.html.

HTH,
Marc

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Only OmegaT is compatible with Open Office Writer format Sep 14, 2004

I would switch too to OOo Writer if there were some good CAT tool available. OmegaT can work on the Writer format, but it works alone, not under the Writer as do Wf under Word.

More generally, Trados, Metatexis and Wordfast work under Word, others have their own editor: Transit, DV, SDLX, OmegaT.
I dont know about Fusion.

[Edited at 2004-09-14 18:33]

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
German to Croatian
+ ...
DVX Sep 15, 2004

I haven't tried it myself, but this is what I read yesterday in the manual for DVX:

"Déjà Vu X Professional directly supports the compressed XML-based format of files of OpenOffice.org and StarOffice 6. The supported file types include word processing (.sxw), spreadsheets (.sxc), and presentations (.sci).There is no need to disassemble any of the files before translation or reassemble them after the export..."

HTH

[Edited at 2004-09-15 07:03]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:24
German to English
+ ...
Heartsome Sep 15, 2004

The Heartsome XLIFF Translation Editor (LITE version currently free) also works with OpenOffice formats. It can be installed on MS Windows, Mac and Linux.

It is necessary to "semi-automatically" convert to XLIFF format and back again.

(Web address: www.heartsome.net)

OOxlate was written to work with OpenOffice Writer (I guess much as Wordfast with MS Word) but may need som
... See more
The Heartsome XLIFF Translation Editor (LITE version currently free) also works with OpenOffice formats. It can be installed on MS Windows, Mac and Linux.

It is necessary to "semi-automatically" convert to XLIFF format and back again.

(Web address: www.heartsome.net)

OOxlate was written to work with OpenOffice Writer (I guess much as Wordfast with MS Word) but may need something of a computer "guru" to get working, even on a "favourable" Linux distribution (such as 'Red Hat Linux 9').

[Edited at 2004-09-15 14:12]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and OpenOffice

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »