Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2004

Hello WordFasters. I am using WordFast version 3.35i. It is an old version and sometimes dorks up my PowerPoint translations (changing fonts, colors, etc). I am thinking of buying the newest version and would like to know if these quirks have been ironed out yet.

Do your PowerPoint translations work flawlessly with WordFast?

[Edited at 2004-10-04 12:12]

Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Indeed yes. Oct 4, 2004

Edward Potter wrote:

Do your PowerPoint translations word flawlessly with WordFast?

Hi Edward,

Your version is indeed 'old' . If you are using 3.5i it and are overall happy with the programme, I would suggest you purchase a newer version were it only for the many improvements that have been added since your version was available. I am a happy WF user have used it in the past for PPT job, successfully, and recently finished 2 projects in PPT. I had what I would describe as 99% success. I am not an expert user and if I were, I am sure that that the missing 1% could have been taken care of very easily. As it was, I had to manually add about 4 words. Overall, in my opinion, a small price.
In short, yes,*nearly* flawlessly would be my personal evaluation and I think the investment would be a wise one.

HTH
Bambi [who has no affiliations with the product of any kind]

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
they do if... Oct 4, 2004

Edward Potter wrote:
Do your PowerPoint translations work flawlessly with WordFast?
[Edited at 2004-10-04 12:12]

Hi Edward,
Yes they do, if the ppt file is well constructed.

The only problem I had was due to bad design (looping on certain segments or "apparently" missing segments), but it's very easy to spot.
Check on your PP file, on Normal View (with the list of slides and their text on the left side of the window, and the notes underneath the relevant slide), if you can see ALL the text that appears in the slide.
If there is text added in text boxes that are not part of the PP
template chosen (bad design of the presentation), this text won't
appear in the list on the left and WF might fail to recognise the
text.
You'll have to fix the presentation or translate it manually.
It might be easy to fix, but if the presentation is too messed up you might want to warn the client cos it will take time to put things right.

You can anyway try it with the newest version (don't forget to download the newest +Tools too) as long as your TM is not bigger than 500 TUs.

I'd have no doubts about using WF to translate PPTs.

Cheers,
Grace.

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
English to French
+ ...
Why buy the newest version... Oct 4, 2004

From what I understood, anyone buying a Wordfast licence is entitled to free updates for a period of three years. Just check when you bought your current licence and go to www.wordfast.net and click on download to download the latest stable commercial release: 4.22t22, dataed June 1, 2004. If your current version is less than 3-years old, the installation will be automatic.

Best of luck
Bruno M
... See more
From what I understood, anyone buying a Wordfast licence is entitled to free updates for a period of three years. Just check when you bought your current licence and go to www.wordfast.net and click on download to download the latest stable commercial release: 4.22t22, dataed June 1, 2004. If your current version is less than 3-years old, the installation will be automatic.

Best of luck
Bruno Magne
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
it might be the free version Oct 4, 2004

Bruno Magne wrote:
If your current version is less than 3-years old, the installation will be automatic.

I'm not sure of the version numbers but I think the one Edward has is the oldest, free version, so the license number wouldn't be any good because the installation number would be different.

Cheers,
Grace.

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Oct 4, 2004

That is correct, Graciela. I got it when it was still free. It was a good marketing plan because now I am thinking of buying it. Real sly.

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Old/new Oct 5, 2004

Edward Potter wrote:

That is correct, Graciela. I got it when it was still free. It was a good marketing plan because now I am thinking of buying it. Real sly.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who worked with WF 3.35i for three years! I bought the new version two weeks ago, but I've not yet tested it on Powerpoint.

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Old version / new version Oct 5, 2004

Nicolette,

Why did you buy the new version? What was it about the old version that made you want to upgrade?

Graciela Carlyle
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
more features Oct 5, 2004

Edward Potter wrote:
Why did you buy the new version? What was it about the old version that made you want to upgrade?

Hi Edward,
I know the old version still does a pretty good job, and if you're not very demanding you can stick with it
But a lot more time on good development has been spent (which deserves some reward) and as a result, there have been great improvements.
Here's a list with some http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=history&lang=engb

Cheers,
Grace.
(ps. I'm only a happy licensed user)

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting list Oct 5, 2004

Graciela,

Thanks for the link. It clearly says that the PowerPoint support was greatly enhanced in a later version. I will be buying the updated version soon.

Edward

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Edward Oct 6, 2004

Edward Potter wrote:

Nicolette,

Version 3.35i did not work on Windows XP. And besides, I met Yves Champollion this summer, and I was really ashamed about using his free product for such a long time...

[Edited at 2004-10-06 08:45]

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New version does not live up to expectations at all Oct 6, 2004

I downloaded WordFast 4.22t22 today to try it out. It still messes up font sizes, changes the font (for example from ariel to times new roman) and does not respect colors. It also refuses to translate tables, changes little arrow symbols to little telephone symbols and takes out spaces between bullet points and the text.

I am finding that the trial pay version is just as time consuming as the old free version. I am now going back over my translation changing all the formatting err
... See more
I downloaded WordFast 4.22t22 today to try it out. It still messes up font sizes, changes the font (for example from ariel to times new roman) and does not respect colors. It also refuses to translate tables, changes little arrow symbols to little telephone symbols and takes out spaces between bullet points and the text.

I am finding that the trial pay version is just as time consuming as the old free version. I am now going back over my translation changing all the formatting errors that WordFast 4.22t22 has made to my PowerPoint presentation.

I´m disappointed.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Old WF version and PPT

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »