Tania Samsonova
Tania Samsonova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:25
Membro (2007)
Da Inglese a Russo
+ ...
Jul 10, 2016

My Wordfast Pro 4 does not accept TMs exported from Trados. I have followed every advice in the following topic:
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/295093-problem_importing_tm_into_wordfast_4.html - and it still does not work.
What I have tried so far:
1. Just exporting various versions TMX and txt from Trados (I have
... See more
My Wordfast Pro 4 does not accept TMs exported from Trados. I have followed every advice in the following topic:
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/295093-problem_importing_tm_into_wordfast_4.html - and it still does not work.
What I have tried so far:
1. Just exporting various versions TMX and txt from Trados (I have 2007).
2. Adding the "missing line" (angle bracket)!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd"(angle bracket) to the file header
3. Replacing the entire file header of my TMX with the one copied from a TMX exported from WordFast Pro 4.
4. Uploading the TMX in question into freetm.com (uploaded without any problems) and downloading it back. I tried both Wordfast txt format and plain tmx. The former was rejected as corrupted (?!), and the latter was "imported" but the number of the imported units was zero.

It is probably a known issue, but please help, I am at the end of my wits.
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 05:25
Membro (2006)
Da Francese a Inglese
Try WFP3 Jul 11, 2016

Dear Tania,

I had a problem importing a Trados TMX the other day and was quite frustrated as well. In the end, I imported it with WFP3. If you have a WFP license, you can download, install and license both WFP3 and WFP4 on the same computer.

WFP3 indicates what the problem was: several invalid XML characters that usually start with &#x.

I opened the TMX with a plain text editor and replaced those characters with what they should represent (usually apostroph
... See more
Dear Tania,

I had a problem importing a Trados TMX the other day and was quite frustrated as well. In the end, I imported it with WFP3. If you have a WFP license, you can download, install and license both WFP3 and WFP4 on the same computer.

WFP3 indicates what the problem was: several invalid XML characters that usually start with &#x.

I opened the TMX with a plain text editor and replaced those characters with what they should represent (usually apostrophes, quotes, hypens or dashes).

I was then able to import into WFP3 and 4.

I submitted development tickets to fix this issue so that these TUs are automatically fixed (if possible) or they are ignored and the TU is skipped.

Hope this helps, kind regards,

John
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 06:25
Membro (2003)
Da Finlandese a Tedesco
+ ...
Looks like Trados introduces rubbish on purpose? Jul 11, 2016

John Di Rico wrote:

Dear Tania,

I opened the TMX with a plain text editor and replaced those characters with what they should represent (usually apostrophes, quotes, hypens or dashes).

I was then able to import into WFP3 and 4.

I submitted development tickets to fix this issue so that these TUs are automatically fixed (if possible) or they are ignored and the TU is skipped.

Hope this helps, kind regards,

John

I remember from 15 years ago when Microsoft introduced non standard code into htm-code so Netscape would not be able to display the page correctly. Perhaps Trados has taken up this tradition?

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 05:25
Membro (2006)
Da Francese a Inglese
Help! Jul 11, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I remember from 15 years ago when Microsoft introduced non standard code into htm-code so Netscape would not be able to display the page correctly. Perhaps Trados has taken up this tradition?

Not sure… are there any SDL Trados gurus trolling the Wordfast forum that can explain what these invalid XML characters are?

John

Tania Samsonova
Tania Samsonova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:25
Membro (2007)
Da Inglese a Russo
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thank you! Jul 14, 2016

John Di Rico wrote:

Thanks John, that was so helpful!
However, I discovered a possible reason for the TMX not importing - it was marked as EN-US and the original project was EN-AU. As soon as I changed the language tags in the TMX file to EN-AU, all segments imported without a problem. Stupid of me not to think about this earlier.

However this method seems a little roundabout, and I still don't know why txt file was declared corrupted, so I will definitely try your recommendations next time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 4 does not accept TMs exported from Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »