What has happened to the Wordfast Classic toolbar?
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
German to English
Jun 2, 2021

I needed to reinstall Wordfast Classic and now have Version 8.40 (running in Windows 10). Now there is no WF icon in the usual place (towards the top left of the window) and instead I get a small blue WF toolbar with just a few icons on it in the top right-hand corner of the screen. This is annoying to use for two reasons: it is much further for the mouse to travel than when the WF toolbar was immediately above the document I was working on, and to get to a bigger range of icons on the toolbar ... See more
I needed to reinstall Wordfast Classic and now have Version 8.40 (running in Windows 10). Now there is no WF icon in the usual place (towards the top left of the window) and instead I get a small blue WF toolbar with just a few icons on it in the top right-hand corner of the screen. This is annoying to use for two reasons: it is much further for the mouse to travel than when the WF toolbar was immediately above the document I was working on, and to get to a bigger range of icons on the toolbar I have to hover the mouse over the WF symbol to temporarily show additional icons and then go to the icon I want - all of which is more time-consuming.

How do I get the usual WF toolbar back that I am used to working with at the top of the document?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Armorel Jun 2, 2021

Armorel Young wrote:
I needed to reinstall Wordfast Classic and now have Version 8.40 (running in Windows 10).

Although newer versions of WFC try to work on older versions of Word, generally the aim is to make the new version of WFC work best on the newest version of Word. And the icon you're talking about no longer functions reliably (or at all) in the latest version of Word. There are some settings in WFC 8.4 that you can tinker with to change the position of the new floating toolbar a bit. You did not mention which version of Word you're using.

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2016 Jun 2, 2021

Thank you for your comments, Samuel.

I'm using Office 2016. I think you're saying that the "floating toolbar" is the only option, in which case I am disappointed as it is not nearly so user-friendly as the old toolbar - it feels like a backward step.

Caryl Swift

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:13
English to Czech
Wordfast Classic toolbar settings Jun 3, 2021

Open the Wordfast Classic settings window, go to the Setup / View tab, double-click the Toolbar size=… line, and adjust the setting as you like. If you set it to 2/float, it will show all the icons all the time and you will be able to move the toolbar where you want. You can also search the user manual at https://www.wordfast.net/zip/WFC8_manual.html for “Tool... See more
Open the Wordfast Classic settings window, go to the Setup / View tab, double-click the Toolbar size=… line, and adjust the setting as you like. If you set it to 2/float, it will show all the icons all the time and you will be able to move the toolbar where you want. You can also search the user manual at https://www.wordfast.net/zip/WFC8_manual.html for “Toolbar size” to see the details there.Collapse

neilmac

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 3, 2021

Many thanks, David - your comments were very helpful. Previously I had only discovered the 1/float setting, which wasn't very useful, but the 2/float setting is far better and approximates to what I wanted in the first place.

Jacqueline Skewes
Jacqueline Skewes  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:13
Italian to English
+ ...
Is there such a thing as 2/dock? Jun 27, 2021

I'm in the same boat as Armorel and am finding the new toolbar very disconcerting. It also keeps randomly appearing when I am not working with WFC at all and I am just editing an unrelated word doc.

Does anyone know how to make it go away and stay away? (apparently closing WFC is only temporary for me) And has anyone found a way to put the toolbar back docked in the ribbon tab where it used to live?

I'm also on WFC 8.40 and Word 2016. I'm sure my keyboard shortcuts are
... See more
I'm in the same boat as Armorel and am finding the new toolbar very disconcerting. It also keeps randomly appearing when I am not working with WFC at all and I am just editing an unrelated word doc.

Does anyone know how to make it go away and stay away? (apparently closing WFC is only temporary for me) And has anyone found a way to put the toolbar back docked in the ribbon tab where it used to live?

I'm also on WFC 8.40 and Word 2016. I'm sure my keyboard shortcuts are impacting on something, but changing the way I work when NOT using WFC seems counterintuitive to me.

[Edited at 2021-06-27 04:32 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What has happened to the Wordfast Classic toolbar?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »