Glossary terms - wrong case
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:17
German to English
Jun 3, 2021

Having had to reinstall WF Classic, WF now has the annoying habit of inserting words from the glossary using the capitalisation of the source text rather than the case of the target term in the glossary - which, since I am working from German with its capitalised nouns, means that all nouns are appearing capitalised.

How to I make WF insert a term in lower case if the target term is in lower case in the glossary, even though the source term is upper case? No doubt the answer is in t
... See more
Having had to reinstall WF Classic, WF now has the annoying habit of inserting words from the glossary using the capitalisation of the source text rather than the case of the target term in the glossary - which, since I am working from German with its capitalised nouns, means that all nouns are appearing capitalised.

How to I make WF insert a term in lower case if the target term is in lower case in the glossary, even though the source term is upper case? No doubt the answer is in the manual somewhere, but I have spent far too long searching it fruitlessly so help from a knowledgeable person would be appreciated (I also know that I knew the answer myself in times gone by, but I can't locate it now!).
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
Easy! Jun 3, 2021

Is "Lock target case on entire glossary" checked for the glossaries concerned?

That setting will force insertion of terms exactly as they are stored in the glossaries, i.e. no automatic capitalization. The setting needs to be enabled separately for each glossary.

In the PB, "PropagateCase=0" also enables strict propagatio
... See more
Is "Lock target case on entire glossary" checked for the glossaries concerned?

That setting will force insertion of terms exactly as they are stored in the glossaries, i.e. no automatic capitalization. The setting needs to be enabled separately for each glossary.

In the PB, "PropagateCase=0" also enables strict propagation.

https://www.screencast.com/t/I1LbWJEJDRM

JL
Collapse

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:17
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 3, 2021

Indeed - that's a very simple solution! I was looking all over the place in Setup and Pandora's Box - thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
There is also an individual setting Jun 3, 2021

Capitalization can also be set individually for both each source and target term.

In my experience, that is usually not necessary when using the Entire glossary setting, but may be useful in specific cases, such as when an all-UC target term matches an all-LC source.

https://www.screencast.com/t/koK6YGDda

J L

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary terms - wrong case

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »