Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Indeed Oct 17, 2016

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

if we accept this premise, then there is nothing wrong with assigning the Nobel Prize to Bob Dylan... if you don't like Dylan, his songs or his lyrics, well, this is a completely different kettle of fish and we can discuss this ad nauseam.

However it seems not so obvious for many, (lyrics = poetry = literature), and I am very surpised and also a bit disappointed.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Does it really matter? Oct 17, 2016

Does it really matter who some random Swedes give the prize to?

I've long since given up on them giving Harold Robbins his due, but I can still recognise his genius.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Reassured Oct 24, 2016

The good news is that Bob Dylan couldn't care less. That's the Bob Dylan I like.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Dynamite legacy Oct 24, 2016

Unlike that funny euphoria about Ob*ma's Nobel Prize, I think at least Bob Dylan has really deserved it working hard. Furthermore, the way how acts the Nobel Committee proves it's gradually yet steadily outliving its usefulness, alas.

BTW, which muse now presides over Nobel prize -w-h- winners, Μελπομένη or Θαλία?

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 14:59
Japanese to English
They should just create a Nobel for music...done, and done. Oct 25, 2016

Very simple: why not have a Nobel Prize for music?

It's hard to believe that Alfred Nobel ignored the music genre, but he did.
I guess he didn't feel that music was of the "greatest benefit on mankind".....sad.

For that matter, there should be a Nobel for mathematics also!

Is it too late to add these?

M.Grant

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
sorry Michael they won't Oct 26, 2016

There have been many requests to hand out prizes in other fields, for environmental protection for example. These are systematically refused.

I agree that as a poet alone Dylan would never have appealed to as many people. However his work has been published in books and the lyrics do stand up well to read-alone consumption.

OK so he put his poetry to music, but the fact remains that with his "voice of sand and glue" (to quote a guy who could out-Dylan Dylan at the dro
... See more
There have been many requests to hand out prizes in other fields, for environmental protection for example. These are systematically refused.

I agree that as a poet alone Dylan would never have appealed to as many people. However his work has been published in books and the lyrics do stand up well to read-alone consumption.

OK so he put his poetry to music, but the fact remains that with his "voice of sand and glue" (to quote a guy who could out-Dylan Dylan at the drop of a hat), the musical interpretation was not what propelled him to the forefront of culture. He's about the biggest artist to have consistently earned far more royalties from cover versions than from his own recordings (pointing this out just in case anyone needs proof that he is a terrible performer).
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Ramones? Oct 26, 2016

Aren't all the Ramones dead? Do they give out posthumous Nobels? (it's a half-serious question)

As for snootiness, irrelevant - to quote Paul Krugman, Nobel Prize in Economics, "I was arrogant even before the Nobel". So it might even help. Perhaps they should introduce a Nobel Prize for Snootiness.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:59
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Obama's Nobel prize Oct 26, 2016

DZiW wrote:

Unlike that funny euphoria about Ob*ma's Nobel Prize, I think at least Bob Dylan has really deserved it working hard. Furthermore, the way how acts the Nobel Committee proves it's gradually yet steadily outliving its usefulness, alas.

BTW, which muse now presides over Nobel prize -w-h- winners, Μελπομένη or Θαλία?

Didn't Barack Obama win his Nobel prize simply for not being George W. Bush?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Obama's Nobel prize Oct 27, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Didn't Barack Obama win his Nobel prize simply for not being George W. Bush?

He did recently claim not to know why he got it. This was in a hilarious mock job interview, given his impending unemployment status. it went something like this:

- I don't see any advancement on your resume in the past eight years
- there wasn't really any opportunity, the only person with more power was my wife
- any awards?
- does the Nobel peace prize count?
- ah yes, what was that for?
- tbh I've never figured that out

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »