Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
Spanish to English
Oct 3, 2011

Hello everybody.
I am about to start on my DPSI next week and will be specializing mainly in healthcare, I would like to know where the best places are to build up my glossaries in this field, would Wiki be good?
Also I am a little confused, so what is the difference between healthcare and medical??
I am assuming that healthcare encompasses a multitude of different areas.

please provide me with some help in this matter.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:14
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Very rough categories Oct 3, 2011

Best of luck with your DPSI!

I could never interpret, and do not live in the UK... but I read - or skim - books for medical students and health professions to help me with translation.

I would start by looking in a good academic bookshop with a medical department. My favourite is Foyles in London, but any university town should have one. I'm not even sure that Foyles is the best, but I can get to it easily when in the UK.

I read most in English - my target
... See more
Best of luck with your DPSI!

I could never interpret, and do not live in the UK... but I read - or skim - books for medical students and health professions to help me with translation.

I would start by looking in a good academic bookshop with a medical department. My favourite is Foyles in London, but any university town should have one. I'm not even sure that Foyles is the best, but I can get to it easily when in the UK.

I read most in English - my target language - but of course you do need to have plenty of good reference books in your source language too, especially as an interpreter, where you will probably be working both ways.

You should probably invest in one or two of the systematic medical terminologies for medical students or nurses, and it is worth buying one with explanations and illustrations, not just the very compact pocket editions (although these are comparatively inexpensive and may be a good help later on).

While you are in the bookshop, you will see the different sections for healthcare (nursing) and medicine, and that may give you more ideas.

If you have access to an academic library, browse around there, and decide what books are going to be useful to you - borrow them if you can.
I like the exam revision guides, because they are detailed enough and professional enough to give you the terms and collocations in context, but still compact - you do not have time to read for a whole medical degree after all.

Another good place to look is in second-hand bookshops, Oxfam Academic bookshops and the like. While you should not buy anything obsolete, the last-but-one editions are often quite adequate for terminology purposes, and cost far less than the latest editions. Once you know what you want, you can also shop around online for the cheapest copies. Charity shops are competitive, if they have the book at all, with the advantage that you can see it before you buy it!

Just some very rough definitions:

Care is in the community and treatment is in hospital

Care is prevention of illness, maintaining and improving health, providing aids and counselling etc. while medicine is treatment, surgery and so on, often in more acute situations.

A large part of care is work with perfectly healthy people, especially expectant mothers and children. Or ensuring for instance that patients with chronic conditions can live as normal lives as possible. (Diabetics, those with allergies or disabilities...)

Of course, care and medicine overlap. Monitoring patients on long-term medication could fall into either category, and most people in the health professions know they work with both, but predominantly with one or the other.

Enjoy yourself, and once again, good luck!
Collapse

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
New DPSI (healthcare)student -feedback wanted Oct 3, 2011

thank you for that.
I start my course on Saturday and i believe that i will have access to the online University library, but i will also try to get information from the Internet.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New DPSI (healthcare)student -feedback wanted

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »