learning to format medical documents- feedback wanted
Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
Feb 26, 2012

I would like to know if somebody could tell me about how to format medical documents or where I can find information on this subject.

many thanks
luke

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 10:39
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What is "format medical documents"? Feb 27, 2012

luke mersh wrote:

I would like to know if somebody could tell me about how to format medical documents or where I can find information on this subject.

many thanks
luke

xiamen-mts
xiamen-mts  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:39
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
RE:learning to format medical documents- feedback wanted Feb 27, 2012

I was confused about your questions either.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
clarification Feb 27, 2012

Sorry , I should be clearer.

I meant how to format or layout medical forms or questionnaires.
such as admission forms, etc.

Is there a certain procedure or any changes , or when you translate a medical form all the fields are in the same place,do you have to put explanation in brackets of what each field is above the translation.?

regards
luke

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:39
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Format of all document translations Feb 27, 2012

depends on the format of the source. Medical documents are no exclusion: your translated document should be always formatted the same way as the source document. In case you use CAT tools you shouldn't worry about the formatting.

Explanation are needed sometimes, for example, in glossaries or lists of abbreviations. However, there are no general rules, and you should always discuss such things with your customers.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
samples Feb 27, 2012

Is there anywhere where I can see some samples to get an idea?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Samples of what? Feb 27, 2012

Medical documents are mostly confidential.

However, for those that are publicly available, you may want to use Google for searches:
http://www.google.com

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
feedback Feb 27, 2012

I was hoping you would know of some websites where i could look

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Try googling "Medical documents" + examples Feb 27, 2012

You will be flooded with hits, but there are some images that might be helpful (and probably lots that won't...) You may be able to add your own extra search terms to refine the search.

But you can normally assume that layout as in the source, with correct translations but not a lot of explanations, will be fine.

This applies if your target readers are professionals - e.g. I translate medical records for insurance purposes and for research studies, and here it is simply
... See more
You will be flooded with hits, but there are some images that might be helpful (and probably lots that won't...) You may be able to add your own extra search terms to refine the search.

But you can normally assume that layout as in the source, with correct translations but not a lot of explanations, will be fine.

This applies if your target readers are professionals - e.g. I translate medical records for insurance purposes and for research studies, and here it is simply a case of translating the texts as they are as far as possible.

If you are translating for the patients, then you may have to explain some of the terminology or use 'normal' language. I would decide where possible on one term and write it where it appears in the source, e.g. disease for morbus and so on. (Danish medical Latin is more distant from the everyday language than the English equivalent - I don't know about Spanish.) But you should probably ask the client precisely what is needed. Many patients are experts in the jargon and terminology of their own diseases, as you will know from interpreting, so there is no need to talk down to them.

On a purely technical level, I sometimes find that setting up a table in Word and hiding the lines is easier than using the tabulators, but if there are only a couple of columns, then the tabulators are fine.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

learning to format medical documents- feedback wanted

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »