Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Photo ID with a picture required for a NDA?
Thread poster: Sachiko Kobata
Sachiko Kobata
Sachiko Kobata  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
Spanish to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 23, 2018

I have worked with a customer, who paid me already for the project but asks me to send a picture of my ID with me, holding the document (passport).

It sounds me so strange that I have to send a picture of myself with a photo of my passport so I didn't send it yet, but is this normal to require translators to send this kind of confidential document copy?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:29
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It is strange Nov 24, 2018

What country is the client from? And what happens if you just ignore this request?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:29
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Strange indeed ... Nov 24, 2018

... especially because few of us resemble our passport photographs - thank goodness!
For a variety of reasons, I would not be inclined to send them such a photograph.

Sachiko Kobata
Adam Warren

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It sounds bizarre Nov 24, 2018

Sachiko Kobata wrote:
send a picture of my ID with me, holding the document

I've heard of lots of clients who have wanted a copy of photo ID. That alone is a request that I don't believe has any justification for translators (unless it's from the authorities for a sensitive official assignment), although it might be justified for interpreters to send it with some information blocked out.

But to be expected to have someone else take your photo holding it? What's that about?

Sachiko Kobata
Marcella Marino
Christine Andersen

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not so unsual Nov 24, 2018

A couple of clients have already asked me to send a copy of a valid ID. Of course I was reluctant to comply, and first did some research.

Based on the money laundering law in various countries, customers may require a copy of a photo ID because anybody could be hidden behind a name or address. Therefore, it is a legitimate request, though still not very common. Based on my research results, I did send a copy of my ID. However, in accordance with the law I blackened the ID card, or
... See more
A couple of clients have already asked me to send a copy of a valid ID. Of course I was reluctant to comply, and first did some research.

Based on the money laundering law in various countries, customers may require a copy of a photo ID because anybody could be hidden behind a name or address. Therefore, it is a legitimate request, though still not very common. Based on my research results, I did send a copy of my ID. However, in accordance with the law I blackened the ID card, or in my case, my passport number and the partially visible address.

Customers are only entitled to see a copy of your ID/passport, in some cases the driver's license, with your name on it and the stamp/signature of the issuing authority. Any other information, especially the ID number, are irrelevant to the customer, and they are not entitled to request such sensitive information.
Collapse

Gareth Callagy
Sachiko Kobata
Liviu-Lee Roth
Wioleta Kwiatkowska
Adam Warren

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not so unsual Nov 24, 2018

Thayenga wrote:

Based on the money laundering law in various countries, customers may request a copy of a photo ID because anybody could be hidden behind a name or address. Therefore, it is a legitimate request, though still not very common. Based on my research results, I did send a copy of my ID. However, in accordance with the law
... See more
Thayenga wrote:

Based on the money laundering law in various countries, customers may request a copy of a photo ID because anybody could be hidden behind a name or address. Therefore, it is a legitimate request, though still not very common. Based on my research results, I did send a copy of my ID. However, in accordance with the law I blackened the ID card, or in my case, my passport number and the partially visible address.

Customers are only entitled to see a copy of your ID/passport, in some cases the driver's license, with your name on it and the stamp/signature of the issuing authority. Any other information, especially the ID number, are irrelevant to the customer, and they are not entitled to request such sensitive information.

Sorry for the double entry. Unfortunately, I can't delete the first post.

[Edited at 2018-11-24 10:06 GMT]
Collapse

Gareth Callagy
Sachiko Kobata

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You've already provided the service to their satisfaction, so it isn't a case of money-laundering Nov 24, 2018

Thayenga wrote:
Based on the money laundering law in various countries, customers may require a copy of a photo ID because anybody could be hidden behind a name or address. Therefore, it is a legitimate request, though still not very common.

I must have been lucky so far. I've sent invoices to 33 different countries on most continents in the last 20 years and have never been asked to provide my personal identification papers. Papers to prove that I'm registered to pay business taxes and social contributions locally, yes, but never ID. Would they require the same information from a larger business? How about if/when they buy a service from Google or Microsoft? Do they want to see ID then before they pay up? After all, anybody can fake those logos nowadays.

No, I'd want to see the legal text requiring it before I complied. I don't see how it can be a problem for them to send money to someone - anyone - if they've already received the service from that person. That's proof for the authorities, isn't it? It could well be a different matter if you're asking for hefty advance payments.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Sachiko Kobata

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's strange Nov 24, 2018

The only times I remember being asked for my ID in the translation context was when I entered in a Consultant Contract with the UN or a Translation Contract with the EU and I didn’t have to show it just to fill the blanks in a form.

When asked for my photo I usually comply though I fail to see the relevance of my physical appearance to my ability as a translator...

Sachiko Kobata
Adam Warren

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Countering fake CVs? Nov 24, 2018

Could this be related to scam attempts with faked or stolen translator CVs? Maybe agencies want to counter this by trying to check the true identity of the translator, which is not easy over the internet.

Kevin Fulton
Sachiko Kobata

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
no Nov 24, 2018

As far as I know only government institutions and banks require a picture of someone holding his ID. However, why not private companies too?

Such an approach may serve for both (1) preventing possible scams and (2) gathering the IDs for swindlers, so I would refrain from sending such a selfie to unspecified entities, especially without a specific privacy clause not to pass it further to the third parties.

Furthermore, if they have PAID to one, it's
... See more
As far as I know only government institutions and banks require a picture of someone holding his ID. However, why not private companies too?

Such an approach may serve for both (1) preventing possible scams and (2) gathering the IDs for swindlers, so I would refrain from sending such a selfie to unspecified entities, especially without a specific privacy clause not to pass it further to the third parties.

Furthermore, if they have PAID to one, it's obviously very him, not somebody else, thus his identity was established--verified, no need to take pictures
Collapse

Sachiko Kobata

Sachiko Kobata
Sachiko Kobata  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Photo ID with a picture required for a NDA? Nov 24, 2018

Thank you for your message, this agent is based in Cyprus, but he does not appear on Proz or any similar platform.
Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

What country is the client from? And what happens if you just ignore this request?

Tilman Loeffler
Tilman Loeffler  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
English to German
interesting topic ... Nov 24, 2018

It happened to me twice this year that clients asked for my ID, both clients were from Russia, so I figured it may be rather common over there. One client was an exisiting one with an updated NDA, I refused to send them my ID and offered them other less confidential documents to proof my identity. They simply changed that paragraph of the NDA for me and we continued our collaboration. The other one was a possible new client and when I refused to send them my ID (including the passport number, th... See more
It happened to me twice this year that clients asked for my ID, both clients were from Russia, so I figured it may be rather common over there. One client was an exisiting one with an updated NDA, I refused to send them my ID and offered them other less confidential documents to proof my identity. They simply changed that paragraph of the NDA for me and we continued our collaboration. The other one was a possible new client and when I refused to send them my ID (including the passport number, they said this can't be blacked out). I decided not to collaborate with them. I really don't see any reason to pass on my most sensitive document to some company when I don't even know if they'll eventually send me jobs over and I find it strange that a client asks me for such a thing. You don't ask the pharmacists for their ID when you buy medicine, the hairdresser when you get a haircut or the lawyer when you use their services. I don't see why you would ask a translator. Can't they check my VAT online if they want to see if my business is legitimate? Clients can also ask for a skype meeting if they want to get to know me better and see who they work with, or ask for a gas bill like other companies handle this ... or even a university diploma. In any case, I wish I saw this thread back then to see other translator's opinions on this topic.Collapse

Adam Warren

Marcella Marino
Marcella Marino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sounds strange Nov 24, 2018

It is a request that sounds really strange. I personally have never received such a request and when a potential customer asked a copy of my photo and of my identity card, too, it was actually a scam (of course I haven't sent any of such documents, as it sounded fishy). Moreover, if there is no evidence of such customer in Proz.com, I would suspect a scam. Maybe it isn't, but I would investigate further. Or just tell them you are not available anylonger, especially if you have strong doubts.

Adam Warren
Sachiko Kobata

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
NDA stands for NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT... Nov 24, 2018

In the good old days an NDA was a single page or two reminding both parties to respect confidentiality and professional ethics, and of course, most people signed without discussion.

Why have agencies begun to tag on all kinds of clauses, some with unclear terms amounting almost to threats, and apparently loading all liability onto the translator?
Some agencies claim that 'the situation will never arise' if people raise objections, but I don't buy that.

Non-di
... See more
In the good old days an NDA was a single page or two reminding both parties to respect confidentiality and professional ethics, and of course, most people signed without discussion.

Why have agencies begun to tag on all kinds of clauses, some with unclear terms amounting almost to threats, and apparently loading all liability onto the translator?
Some agencies claim that 'the situation will never arise' if people raise objections, but I don't buy that.

Non-disclosure goes both ways.
Clients must treat your sensitive information as confidential, and it is easiest for them if they simply do not have more information than they actually need. A freelancer engaged for a single job is NOT an employee. Your business identity and bank details for invoicing are fine.
They do not need information beyond that, even if they later engage you for a whole series of individual jobs, and a long-term relationship is set up.

Nobody would dream of asking for passport pictures etc. from someone who sold books or all the other things one can buy on the Internet these days, even if the products are personally tailored.

Don't let agencies get away with it! A new client is a complete stranger, remember, and not an authority. OK, you want to be on good terms and hope you will be good business partners, but do you really want to be partners with someone who does not respect your rights from the start?
Collapse

Tilman Loeffler
Liviu-Lee Roth
Sheila Wilson
Jennifer Forbes
Marcella Marino
Adam Warren
Alexandre Moraes da Silva

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:29
English to Russian
Why not ask them? Nov 25, 2018

Why don't you ask them about their purpose?

Tilman Loeffler wrote:
both clients were from Russia, so I figured it may be rather common over there.

No! Not at all. Don't even think of responding to such requests. This scheme is used for criminal purposes.
If you can't help yourself from ignoring your reason, take some protective steps: redact your signature or add a diagonal watermark as a minimum so that it goes across your signature. You can easily do it with use of Adobe Acrobat (Tools > Watermark > Add Watermark...).
However the best way would be avoiding such requests. Cyprus... They produce train-loads of offshore companies everyday. They always need new fake directors for their offshore products. Think.

Kaspars Melkis
Sachiko Kobata
Maria da Glória Teixeira

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Photo ID with a picture required for a NDA?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »