Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:05
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 14, 2022

In essence almost all economic trade has stopped: tourism, aviation, food, machine tools, etc. Translators from all over the UE, not only from Russia, are affected by the sanctions. How far can the losses go?

Cordially

Claudio Porcellana (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Not just the EU Mar 14, 2022

I have a long term project which is now being put on hold, and I suspect the war may have something to do with it (i.e. the end clients probably have Russians as their higher-ups). I already asked the PM about this and they too weren't certain of how the project will go.

Thread will be locked/removed in 3... 2... 1...

[Edited at 2022-03-14 09:45 GMT]

Adieu
expressisverbis
Zamira B.
P.L.F. Persio
Inga Petkelyte

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Going back to the original post Mar 14, 2022

Obviously it depends on the language pairs you work with. Personally and professionally I was much more affected by the sanitary crisis. Sorry, if I am comparing apples to pears: 15 days of sanctions vs 2 years of Covid-19.

P.L.F. Persio
Kaspars Melkis

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The post is Mar 14, 2022

The post is addressed to those who work with Russian in the EU.

Cordially

Zamira B.
Zamira B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
- Mar 14, 2022

I think there will be little or no market for into Russian translations for the foreseeable future. There will be a surge in such sectors as economic and other intelligence, administration of sanctions and compliance outside of Russia (mostly in-house positions), also document translations for refugees and emigrants.

P.L.F. Persio
Kaspars Melkis
Tretyak
mk_lab
Dmytro Nazarenko
William Yang
Adieu

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
The long-term results are hard to predict. Mar 14, 2022

The post is addressed to those who work with Russian in the EU.

I do. I translate from many languages, and the fraction of Russian in my workload crashed from about 70% to 1-2% around early 2018. Many colleagues of mine reported the same. These days, there is hardly any change. If anything, those working in the political/social/humanitarian/legal fields can expect an increase in Russian jobs in connection with Russian-speaking refugees from both Ukraine and Russia, and a bit later, once the war is over, in connection with war crime trials and reparations.

Apart from that, I am personally willing to sacrifice a significant part of my earnings if it helps change the regime in Russia, and I think this change is the only way to get the flow of Russian jobs back to the level of 10-15 years ago.

Zamira B.
Jan Truper
P.L.F. Persio
Jo Macdonald
Tretyak
Andriy Yasharov
mk_lab

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the sharp drop Mar 14, 2022

I felt the sharp drop in January and from there it has plummeted.I don't foresee things changing for quite some time, even when Russia finishes its military operations. As for works with war crimes trials looking at similar actions by other nuclear powers (Serbia, Iraq, Libya), such a possibility seems very remote to me, since like the US, Russia does not recognise such tribunals, and it is most likely that they will be the ones to try the defeated.
As for the fact that the changes would
... See more
I felt the sharp drop in January and from there it has plummeted.I don't foresee things changing for quite some time, even when Russia finishes its military operations. As for works with war crimes trials looking at similar actions by other nuclear powers (Serbia, Iraq, Libya), such a possibility seems very remote to me, since like the US, Russia does not recognise such tribunals, and it is most likely that they will be the ones to try the defeated.
As for the fact that the changes would bring more jobs, I don't know what to say. Formally the Russian economy is capitalist and neoliberal and on paper a democracy.

Cordially
Collapse

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Talked today Mar 14, 2022

Talked today with theowner of one of my clients-agencies. She told that everything is still, no orders, "people/businesses are cautious and don't move".

Mr. Satan (X)
Adieu
Zamira B.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Learn a new language Mar 15, 2022

Our skills are very transferable.

P.L.F. Persio
Evgeny Sidorenko
expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Angie Garbarino

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:05
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Which specializations have demand for Ru-En translations? Mar 15, 2022

Are there any specialty fields, except military translation, where they actually need Ru-En translators at the moment? It is extremely slow and all client projects stopped when the conflict started in Ukraine.

Is everyone else experiencing the same thing or am I the only one?

Adieu
Zamira B.

Anna Bessonov
Anna Bessonov
United States
Local time: 13:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Local market Mar 15, 2022

Zamira B. wrote:

I think there will be little or no market for into Russian translations for the foreseeable future. There will be a surge in such sectors as economic and other intelligence, administration of sanctions and compliance outside of Russia (mostly in-house positions), also document translations for refugees and emigrants.

Local market outside Russia will survive, since there will be people in need of interpreting services because they don’t speak the language of the host-country.

[Edited at 2022-03-15 19:26 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US sanctions against Russia: cost for the EU translation industry

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »