Marie Peters
Germany
Local time: 20:26
English to German
+ ...
Apr 7, 2022

Dear community,

I have been receiving the following job request:
The customer is a software provider in the SAP environment requiring a user interface translation from German into Spanish.
The translation volume amounts to approximately 1,500 words covering mainly buttons, column headers and error messages, so mainly individual words.

The customer asked me to offer a final price for the translation.
Since the translation mainly involves individual word
... See more
Dear community,

I have been receiving the following job request:
The customer is a software provider in the SAP environment requiring a user interface translation from German into Spanish.
The translation volume amounts to approximately 1,500 words covering mainly buttons, column headers and error messages, so mainly individual words.

The customer asked me to offer a final price for the translation.
Since the translation mainly involves individual words, I would suggest per word pricing.
However, I have no idea which rate would be appropriate for this kind of request.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks,

Marie
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:26
German to Swedish
+ ...
Go high Apr 7, 2022

This assignment could be anywhere on the difficulty scale from painless to near-impossible, so it's hard to say. But you should certainly add 50-100% (or more!) to your per-word fee, because translating flowing text is much easier than table headers etc. And is there a TM, and is it any good?

(PS: to translate this accurately, you need to see the actual UI, not just a bunch of strings.)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing for User Interface Translations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »