Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 21, 2022

Dear colleagues,

I have already written to the translation agency because I am confused but I would like to have your help too.

I did the first job for a new client, a translation agency with a 5 in the Blue Board. However, it seems their accounting department is making a mess.

I receive a first PO for around €70.00 when I was assigned the job, then, just before starting, the PO was updated because the word counting and percentages were wrongly calculated
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have already written to the translation agency because I am confused but I would like to have your help too.

I did the first job for a new client, a translation agency with a 5 in the Blue Board. However, it seems their accounting department is making a mess.

I receive a first PO for around €70.00 when I was assigned the job, then, just before starting, the PO was updated because the word counting and percentages were wrongly calculated and it was issued a PO for €31.00. I delivered last Friday and the deadline was yesterday. Now, I have just received a new PO for €50.00 and there is no word counting in it, there is only written "1 forfait". I have never seen that word in any context and I am trying to find the meaning, but it seems to be negative.

I have asked, among others, if my job was a poor quality one, although I don't think so, but I have not received any feedback since my delivery.

I would like that someone could explain to me what "forfait" in a PO means because I only find a meaning similar to "discount", but the rate is higher than the previous PO.

I am not sure but I think it is a small translation agency.

Thank you.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Forfait Jun 21, 2022

I think it's good news because they're giving you their standard payment for small jobs: €50 instead of €31 !!

Forfait = standard payment

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right Jun 21, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I think it's good news because they're giving you their standard payment for small jobs: €50 instead of €31 !!

Thank you so much for the information, Tom in London. I was a little bit worried because it was the first job with this client and I had not received any feedback about the quality yet, but the PM has just replied to my email.

You are right, they have added to the previous PO the work done on the 100% matches because there were some problems with the tags on 100% matches and I corrected them and my work was fine.

I had never seen anywhere the word "forfait". I could only find it in specialized contexts with the meaning of something similar to "discount" and even the word "forfait" in Spanish, I mean, just as in English, untranslated.

Thank you.

expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Forfait Jun 21, 2022

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Thank you so much for the information, Tom in London. I was a little bit worried because it was the first job with this client and I had not received any feedback about the quality yet, but the PM has just replied to my email.

You are right, they have added to the previous PO the work done on the 100% matches because there were some problems with the tags on 100% matches and I corrected them and my work was fine.

I had never seen anywhere the word "forfait". I could only find it in specialized contexts with the meaning of something similar to "discount" and even the word "forfait" in Spanish, I mean, just as in English, untranslated.

Thank you.

In Italian, the expression "forfait" is used to mean something like "all-inclusive" "one-off" "una tantum" "lump sum".

They seem to be a good client. Hold on to them tightly!

[Edited at 2022-06-21 11:41 GMT]

expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
French Jun 21, 2022

'Forfait' in French means 'flat rate', 'fixed sum', 'fixed/set/all-inclusive price' or 'package', much the same as in Italian, apparently.

Whether that is good or bad in each case is up to you to check. If they want a book translated for a €50 forfait, it may not be such a good idea.

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
Yolanda Broad
Oksana Weiss
John Fossey

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think they are a good client Jun 21, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

'Forfait' in French means 'flat rate', 'fixed sum', 'fixed/set/all-inclusive price' or 'package', much the same as in Italian, apparently.

Whether that is good or bad in each case is up to you to check. If they want a book translated for a €50 forfait, it may not be such a good idea.

Yes, Thomas, you are right but no, it is not a book what I had to translate. I think this has been very honest of them and the total sum before the forfait was a bit low because I had to check 100% matches with a high discount just for a couple of tags in the target not present in the source, but now I find it much more fair bearing in mind the time I spent on the task.

That may be the reason why it was difficult for me to find the meaning of "forfait" in English, because they were using it because of their mother tongue (Italian).

Thank you.

expressisverbis

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Forfait Jun 21, 2022

You may have set a min fee of €50 and since the PO total didn't reach this amount, it may have autoupdated to a flat fee of €50. Sometimes machines do good work!

Philippe

John Fossey

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3 different POs and 1 forfait

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »