Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:02
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2011

I am revising a 225 page training manual, with six chapters (or modules), using track changes etc.
I will be sending them each module when it's finished, so that means the entire document, with the changes for chapter that I worked on. They will probably send me revisions or suggestions for each, or at the end.
What is the best and most efficient way to incorporate their revisions and add new ones without opening too many duplicate documents? I haven't done this big a project, and co
... See more
I am revising a 225 page training manual, with six chapters (or modules), using track changes etc.
I will be sending them each module when it's finished, so that means the entire document, with the changes for chapter that I worked on. They will probably send me revisions or suggestions for each, or at the end.
What is the best and most efficient way to incorporate their revisions and add new ones without opening too many duplicate documents? I haven't done this big a project, and consistency is important in a document this size.

I welcome any suggestions!

BTW I work in MS Word 2007.
Collapse

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 06:02
French to English
+ ...
not clear Jan 28, 2011

Why do you need to open multiple versions, if you/they are incorporating the changes as you go back and forth?

I'm not sure I understood, but aside from the regular "keeping track of changes" function in Word, you can color the background of the text with different colors, if you need additional visual codes.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:02
English to Thai
+ ...
Doc file? Jan 29, 2011

For Word file, split it into many small files (and compile back after job finishing). I prefer using multi-screen PO to work with many files.This will enhance efficiency and save time to seek many parts of the documents. For repeating revisions, Word always give different color of trace changes.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Marlene Blanshay
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good idea Jan 29, 2011

thanks....
that's probably the best idea...both are good.
I dont' want to divide it up though, because of formatting...lots of embedded illustrations etc. So I'm doing one chapter at a time, sending the whole document each time with the changes.

[Edited at 2011-01-29 00:10 GMT]

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Divide into chapters Jan 29, 2011

You should first divide your manual into so many chapters and treat each chapter as a separate document; otherwise you will end up with changes on several versions of the same big document that you will have to "consolidate" into one version, which will easily become unmanageable. Treating chapters separately will also make life easier for your client.

If in Word, you should be able to keep the formatting. If nothing else works, create each section (chapter) from the original docume
... See more
You should first divide your manual into so many chapters and treat each chapter as a separate document; otherwise you will end up with changes on several versions of the same big document that you will have to "consolidate" into one version, which will easily become unmanageable. Treating chapters separately will also make life easier for your client.

If in Word, you should be able to keep the formatting. If nothing else works, create each section (chapter) from the original document by deleting the whole text of the other sections. Or ask you client to send you the chapters separately.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes thanks Jan 29, 2011

yes, that's what I am going to do. I also told the client that next time to send it as separate chapters! it's just too big otherwise.

If you have a big document with many changes already in it, can you break it up into chapters and keep all the changes?

[Edited at 2011-01-29 23:56 GMT]

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Of course you can Jan 31, 2011

Your changes will be kept as long as you have saved the modified version, and work with the modified version. Don't forget to keep one copy of the original document you received.

I suppose you work in Word format. If you have a total of 225 pages divided into 6 chapters, this makes about 35 pages per chapter, which is still quite large. I would create sections of 10 to 15 pages (maybe three sections per chapter) and name or number them carefully (in sequence); at any moment in your
... See more
Your changes will be kept as long as you have saved the modified version, and work with the modified version. Don't forget to keep one copy of the original document you received.

I suppose you work in Word format. If you have a total of 225 pages divided into 6 chapters, this makes about 35 pages per chapter, which is still quite large. I would create sections of 10 to 15 pages (maybe three sections per chapter) and name or number them carefully (in sequence); at any moment in your project you should be able to know the status of each section (still untouched, still being revised by you, being reviewed by client, changes to be made following client's comments, or completed). I suggest placing them in different folders according to their "status".

And don't forget to keep copies of your latest versions as you progress. In case everything goes wrong (e.g. you loose the text on your screen), you should be able to go back one step without wasting hours of work.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2011-01-31 01:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-31 01:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-31 02:39 GMT]
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
those are good ideas Jan 31, 2011

But I tried to break up the document with all the changes in it, by copying a section with changes to a blank document...it saved the changes, but didn't show them (the insertions, deletions etc).
If you merge them of course, it shows the changes.

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
In Word, Tools... Jan 31, 2011

In Word, open the document you created as you said, at the top of your screen, (excuse me, mine is in French): Outil, Suivi des modifications (opens the Modifications window), click all three options you see, OK. Then you should see your changes. From the Modifications window, if you click Options, this allows you to show or hide the deleted text.

From this point, with each section, I suppose large portions of the main document will be shown as "deleted". You could then right-click
... See more
In Word, open the document you created as you said, at the top of your screen, (excuse me, mine is in French): Outil, Suivi des modifications (opens the Modifications window), click all three options you see, OK. Then you should see your changes. From the Modifications window, if you click Options, this allows you to show or hide the deleted text.

From this point, with each section, I suppose large portions of the main document will be shown as "deleted". You could then right-click on these parts and "accept" the changes (the deleted part will then disappear for good).

Or there is another method: fom your main document, click Outil, Suivi des modifications, in the Modifications window, unclick "Signaler les modifications lors de l'édition". From there, delete all the text except the section you want to keep and save it under a new name. Then go back to the Modifications window to click the "Signaler les modifications..." option before you go on.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank Jan 31, 2011

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

From this point, with each section, I suppose large portions of the main document will be shown as "deleted". You could then right-click on these parts and "accept" the changes (the deleted part will then disappear for good).

Or there is another method: fom your main document, click Outil, Suivi des modifications, in the Modifications window, unclick "Signaler les modifications lors de l'édition". From there, delete all the text except the section you want to keep and save it under a new name. Then go back to the Modifications window to click the "Signaler les modifications..." option before you go on.

I think our versions of word are different...mine is english but I don't have the same options in track changes.

[Edited at 2011-01-31 18:51 GMT]

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
What version? Jan 31, 2011

Then could you tell us what version of Word you are using, maybe someone out there working with the same version will know the answer to your questions.

In some form or other you should have access to all the options I mentionned.

I work with Word 2000 (I know, it's an old old version).

[Edited at 2011-01-31 20:50 GMT]

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 19:02
English
+ ...
MS Word Feb 1, 2011

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

What is the best and most efficient way to incorporate their revisions and add new ones without opening too many duplicate documents?
BTW I work in MS Word 2007.

Hi Marlene,

I agree with what other people said about splitting the document into chapters. As for consolidation, you can get Word to combine the two documents into a new one. I think 2007 and 2010 ribbon is the same, so go to ....
Review tab > Compare > Combine
In the dialogue pop-up, make sure to tick the "Label unmarked changes with:..." box!

Word will automatically compare the two versions, ask you if you want to combine it all into a new document, and then highlight all the new additions for your perusal. It works very well.

Just make sure to keep a clear timeline of edits, for example:
Chapter 01 - the doc you sent to the client
Chapter 01_1 or Chapter 01_1_rev1 - the doc with revisions that you received back
Chapter 01_2 or Chapter 01_1_rev2- the combined document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working on a large project

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »