Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:33
English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2012

From the Chicago Manual of Style website:

Q. How do you recover from a real proofreading blooper—the kind that has everyone in gales and is terribly embarrassing?

A. Naturally, we have very little experience with this. Is there absolutely no way to blame it on someone else? If not, you probably should keep a low profile until it blows over. Lucky for you, proofreaders automatically have a fairly low profile.... See more
From the Chicago Manual of Style website:

Q. How do you recover from a real proofreading blooper—the kind that has everyone in gales and is terribly embarrassing?

A. Naturally, we have very little experience with this. Is there absolutely no way to blame it on someone else? If not, you probably should keep a low profile until it blows over. Lucky for you, proofreaders automatically have a fairly low profile.

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/Documentation/Documentation07.html
Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
German to English
+ ...
I saw this too Feb 13, 2012

and I thought it was hilarious.

Unfortunately, the part about having a low profile might save you from being constantly reminded by others, but it won't keep you from "revisiting" the scene of the crime a thousand times in your memory.
Not that I have had a real blooper, but for a perfectionist, every mistake is embarrassing.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Recommended reading: the Revision Fairy Aug 24, 2012

I've recently come across a site by Stefanie Flaxman, a.k.a. "Revision Fairy".
I enjoy the Revision Fairy's writings, from grammar to running a small business to heartbreak, and I can certainly appreciate her take on reviewing text:
"It’s a pain to review text that already makes sense to you."

As an example of real-life editorial challenges, I'll quote from her recent article on comma
... See more
I've recently come across a site by Stefanie Flaxman, a.k.a. "Revision Fairy".
I enjoy the Revision Fairy's writings, from grammar to running a small business to heartbreak, and I can certainly appreciate her take on reviewing text:
"It’s a pain to review text that already makes sense to you."

As an example of real-life editorial challenges, I'll quote from her recent article on comma usage.

"Commas are one of the most challenging punctuation marks to write about for the same reason that there are countless pages about them in the Chicago Manual of Style: their use is extremely contextual.
Reviewing a sentence, and sometimes even an entire paragraph, is necessary to determine whether a comma is needed or not.

That being said, I do have some simple thoughts on comma usage.

View commas as symbols that provide guidance and clarity for the reader.

Comma overuse
occurs when a reader doesn’t actually need to pause; the superfluous comma disrupts the sentence.

Commas are needed to assist with comprehension when clauses run together.

http://revisionfairy.com/small-business-writing-consultant/2012/07/17/when-to-use-a-comma/

Enjoy your weekend and happy reading!

[Edited at 2012-08-25 00:49 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A little proofreader's humor

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »