How to get proofreading and editing jobs - suggestions needed
Thread poster: Ms Jackie
Ms Jackie
Ms Jackie
United States
Local time: 10:43
Spanish to English
Oct 23, 2012

As a native speaker of English with a Translation degree and a strength for terminology within context, I would like to work as an English Proof and Edit Professional on ProZ and other sites. Since translation should sound natural and should be within the acceptance of culture in order to sound professional, proof and edit is a very important part of the end product. My question is, how can I get paid for this on ProZ? Most jobs posted seem to be for complete translations and not the special... See more
As a native speaker of English with a Translation degree and a strength for terminology within context, I would like to work as an English Proof and Edit Professional on ProZ and other sites. Since translation should sound natural and should be within the acceptance of culture in order to sound professional, proof and edit is a very important part of the end product. My question is, how can I get paid for this on ProZ? Most jobs posted seem to be for complete translations and not the specialization of proof and edit. Perhaps some translators would be will to work with me on this or offer suggestions.Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not surprising really Oct 24, 2012

Ms. Jackie wrote:
Most jobs posted seem to be for complete translations and not the specialization of proof and edit.

ProZ.com is, after all, a "translation workplace".

There are monolingual jobs around here though, and you can specify a language "pair" of English monolingual (as I have done) and ask for notification of all monolingual jobs. However, if you want to do full-time monolingual English work, you'd be better off finding other sources of work.

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:43
Member (2003)
French to English
Be impeccable Oct 24, 2012

Make sure everything you write (especially on a public forum) is flawless: sorry, but a mistake such as "Perhaps some translators would be will to work with me on this or offer suggestions" does enormous damage to your credibility as a proofreader.

Ms Jackie
Ms Jackie
United States
Local time: 10:43
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cliché Oct 24, 2012

Yes Karen, you are correct. Willing to... is the correct wording. Typo.:)

[Edited at 2012-10-24 14:50 GMT]

Sheila, I see your point of view however, I have noticed many translators translating from their native language into a non-native language. As a result the end product does not sound as natural or as professional as it could. After all, it is all about the context and the wording of the translation. Proof and edit by a nati
... See more
Yes Karen, you are correct. Willing to... is the correct wording. Typo.:)

[Edited at 2012-10-24 14:50 GMT]

Sheila, I see your point of view however, I have noticed many translators translating from their native language into a non-native language. As a result the end product does not sound as natural or as professional as it could. After all, it is all about the context and the wording of the translation. Proof and edit by a native speaker can make the difference between an acceptable product and a professional, exceptional product.

However, thank you for your feedback and your advise.

[Edited at 2012-10-24 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:43
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oops! Oct 25, 2012

Sorry, Ms. J., but you did it again. It's 'advice' (n.), not 'advise' (v.)...

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get proofreading and editing jobs - suggestions needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »