Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
How to rate a Proofreading
Thread poster: Sérgio Santos
Sérgio Santos
Sérgio Santos
Local time: 14:27
English to Portuguese
Jan 12, 2013

I would like to know your opinion about how to rate a proofreading!! How we can define a price?

Kristian Andersson
Kristian Andersson  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
English to Swedish
Per hour! Jan 13, 2013

Charge per hour if possible.

lisa kramer taruschio
lisa kramer taruschio  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
What is an average hourly rate for proofreading non-technical text? Jan 13, 2013

Kristian Andersson and anyone else reading this: What do you think is a fair hourly rate for proofreading, revising or editing translated non-technical text?

Thanks for suggestions (in euro or US dollars).

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. I would think about $40/hr Jan 13, 2013

Usually 1,000 words of non-technical text can be edited within an hour -- sometimes slightly more, depending on how bad the original text is. I hope it is not related to post MT editing -- then sometimes the whole text has to be redone and the rate is very close to a regular translation rate.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Erm. Jan 13, 2013

LilianBoland wrote:

Usually 1,000 words of non-technical text can be edited within an hour -- sometimes slightly more, depending on how bad the original text is. I hope it is not related to post MT editing -- then sometimes the whole text has to be redone and the rate is very close to a regular translation rate.

Before taxes, using your very own equipment and your very own office space for which you pay rent? Why would you recommend such a dumping rate?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
An hour is an hour... Jan 13, 2013

An hour is an hour, and you have to set your rates at a level where you can make a realistic living after tax in the country where you live. You should not calculate on an average of more than forty hours or so a week including administration.

I have seen suggestion from a professional body in Denmark for a rate equivalent to about USD 88 or 66 Euros per hour - if you live in Denmark.

That is for a self-employed person like a freelance translator, who does not need to i
... See more
An hour is an hour, and you have to set your rates at a level where you can make a realistic living after tax in the country where you live. You should not calculate on an average of more than forty hours or so a week including administration.

I have seen suggestion from a professional body in Denmark for a rate equivalent to about USD 88 or 66 Euros per hour - if you live in Denmark.

That is for a self-employed person like a freelance translator, who does not need to invite clients into a high-street office, but does have to provide a place to work. It takes some account of the fact that you are not earning fees all the time, and need to cover tax, pension contributions etc. and expenses, time spent on marketing and adminstration and so on, on top of your 'take-home pay'.

I have yet to meet an agency that would pay as much as that, even in Denmark - direct clients might. But I am quite choosy for that reason about who I proofread for. I simply do not work for clients who will not pay a tolerable hourly rate.

In practice I can normally earn more per hour from translation, so I give those jobs priority.

It is necessary to explain to clients how long the job takes and insist that they pay realistic rates. There is always the risk that they will find a cheaper person to do the job, but we should stand together on this. There are enough members on this site to make a difference if we do so.
Collapse

Adsion Liu
Adsion Liu  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
Per hour or Word Jan 13, 2013

LilianBoland wrote:

Bsed on my practice, 40USD/hour is an option not bad, but it's hard to proof an average translation by 1,000 words per hour with quality since we have to compare the translation to the source text from time to time, and sometimes take some time to locate the point in the source text...I usually prooread 4000-6000 words per 8 work hours.

For frequent clients, I usually quote by hour, but for new and rare clients, per source word after evaluation of the translation with source text, since they may think you would cheat hours from them...

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proofreading should not be confused with translation review! Please! Jan 13, 2013

Proofreading should only entail reading to ensure there are not grammatical, spelling errors. If the translation is well done it goes very smoothly.

If you have to check against the source document, that is "translation review", this is more time consuming and sometimes even involves research.

Adsion wrote:

LilianBoland wrote:

Bsed on my practice, 40USD/hour is an option not bad, but it's hard to proof an average translation by 1,000 words per hour with quality since we have to compare the translation to the source text from time to time, and sometimes take some time to locate the point in the source text...I usually prooread 4000-6000 words per 8 work hours.

For frequent clients, I usually quote by hour, but for new and rare clients, per source word after evaluation of the translation with source text, since they may think you would cheat hours from them...

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Actually, that's called editing, not reviewing. Jan 13, 2013

Edited: Got the quotes mixed up. Sorry for that.

[Edited at 2013-01-13 14:38 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
My post again, with the correct quote Jan 13, 2013

Michelle Kusuda wrote:

If you have to check against the source document, that is "translation review", this is more time consuming and sometimes even involves research.

Reviewing means checking if all the facts and contents of a
text are correct and up to date. It should not be mixed up
with checking a translation against the source text.

Sérgio Santos
Sérgio Santos
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Proofreading or/and Review Jan 13, 2013

I read all your comments, and there´s a doubt, a price to pay for a proofreading is different for a review?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Itaruschio Jan 13, 2013

The hourly rate depends on many different factors, such as the cost of living in the proofreader's area, the extent of his/her experience, to name just a few...

Kristian Andersson
Kristian Andersson  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
Cost of living Jan 13, 2013

Christine Andersen wrote:

I know the Danes make a lot of money, and I have to admit that I'm not quite there yet!

USD 88 x 40 hours x 48 weeks = USD 168,960 + 4 (unpaid) weeks off

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes. Jan 13, 2013

Sérgio Santos wrote:

I read all your comments, and there´s a doubt, a price to pay for a proofreading is different for a review?

Different rates for three different tasks.

- Proofreading (monolingual) goes fastest and is the least expensive. You only check the translation for spelling, punctuation and proper grammar. About 30% of your translation rate / word.

- Editing (bilingual): You work with two texts and you carefully check the translation against the source text. Aside from checking spelling, punctuation and grammar, you will also check for omissions, proper tonality and if the full meaning of the source text has been captured. About 40% of your translation rate.

- Reviewing (monolingual): You will check facts, contents and figures by means of external sources to make sure that all information is up to date (example: stock market, forex rates, political developments or if Britney Spears is indeed still engaged.) About 60% of your translation rate.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If you charge by the hour, then the rate is the same Jan 13, 2013

If you charge by the hour, then your rate is the same, no matter what you do.

It gets far more complicated if you start charging by numbers of words.

I have to admit that the rate I mentioned is a dream rate - and it is well above the average hourly rate on this site in the Danish to English pair. Which is probably why many translators in Denmark earn less than other professionals.

When you pay at least 40% in tax, then expenses, and there is 25% VAT on EV
... See more
If you charge by the hour, then your rate is the same, no matter what you do.

It gets far more complicated if you start charging by numbers of words.

I have to admit that the rate I mentioned is a dream rate - and it is well above the average hourly rate on this site in the Danish to English pair. Which is probably why many translators in Denmark earn less than other professionals.

When you pay at least 40% in tax, then expenses, and there is 25% VAT on EVERYTHING in Denmark except documented business expenses, there is not so much left from your 88 dollars/66 Euros (or whatever rate you can get from clients abroad).

That is why I say you have to set your rates according to your own circumstances. Some of the rates I am offered simply would not cover my taxes, even if others claim you can live on them in some parts of the world.
Collapse

Romina Mendoza

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to rate a Proofreading

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »