Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Mutual proofreading group for small texts (French > English > French)
Thread poster: Vivien Green
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:35
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Own texts or translations? Mar 14, 2013

I thought this thread was proposing proofreading each other's own marketing texts, when we write in our source language(s). These texts are normally very short, quite repetitive, so we wouldn't feel the need to have the same sentences checked again, and are of course in language that we should all understand from our own quotes, CVs, profiles etc. I would think an area of the site specific to this collaboration might be a good idea, though it's a service that can be covered by the "exchange" are... See more
I thought this thread was proposing proofreading each other's own marketing texts, when we write in our source language(s). These texts are normally very short, quite repetitive, so we wouldn't feel the need to have the same sentences checked again, and are of course in language that we should all understand from our own quotes, CVs, profiles etc. I would think an area of the site specific to this collaboration might be a good idea, though it's a service that can be covered by the "exchange" area: http://www.proz.com/?sp=exchange

But I've seen several recent posts that seem to be talking about others volunteering to read through our translations. That's a completely different proposition, as far as I can see. Who never does a translation longer than 250 or so words? Could you trust the volunteer proofreader(s) to know the terminology specific to all the various subject areas? How about confidentiality of client data? Anyway, this service is also available on ProZ.com, albeit rather hidden away as a forum: http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_feedback_area-1049.html
Collapse

Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Useful information from Sheila - thanks! Mar 15, 2013

That's very useful information Sheila - thanks for letting us know about that.

I know that the second link you posted is to an area usually reserved for comments on "actual" translations - ie not the marketing texts and bids I was thinking of in my original post, but it's possible they may allow us to post these for feedback so long as they don't breach confidentiality rules (although I suspect they will say it's not really what the area is intended for). Nevertheless, I've poste
... See more
That's very useful information Sheila - thanks for letting us know about that.

I know that the second link you posted is to an area usually reserved for comments on "actual" translations - ie not the marketing texts and bids I was thinking of in my original post, but it's possible they may allow us to post these for feedback so long as they don't breach confidentiality rules (although I suspect they will say it's not really what the area is intended for). Nevertheless, I've posted a question in that section to ask if it would be permitted and we'll see what they say.

I have come across the exchange section before when I was looking for a mentorship (prior to finding the official mentorship programme) but it didn't yield any results. I'm not sure it's used all that much. Has anyone had any success using that service before? It also limits collaboration to instances where 2 people need something from each other at the same time - although it might still be useful for setting people up in pairs where both have a fairly continuous stream of small texts for source language clients.

If we started a group it would just be with the aim of helping others as and when we are all able in the hope that someone will be able to do the same for us when we need something checked.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:35
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
private forum Mar 15, 2013

Vivien Green wrote:

I think a closed group on here is as good as any other option - I typed "closed group" into the search box though but got very little of any relevance coming up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It's called a private forum, not a closed group:

Can I request a private forum for discussion/work?
http://www.proz.com/faq/3103#3103

Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma! Mar 15, 2013

Thanks Emma - I think I'll just go ahead and get it set up. When I saw the forum Sheila linked to I thought that might meet everyone's needs, but having giving it some more thought, I imagine a lot of people wouldn't want their communications to be public (even if they post anonymously).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mutual proofreading group for small texts (French > English > French)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »