How much for proofreading AND localization?
Thread poster: Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:34
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 18, 2014

I was asked to work on some marketing and IT material, from European French to Canadian French. I will do proofreading and adaptation work, and I have no idea how to charge for those two services. I know that proofreading is about 1/3 or the regular rate, but how should I charge for localization?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
1/3 for proofreading? Jul 18, 2014

I charge at least half my translation rate or per hour...

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Regarding localization or adaptation Jul 18, 2014

I always apply my hour rate.

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Per word rate Jul 19, 2014

Thank for your response Teresa.
Would you have any idea of a per word rate for both tasks?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:34
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Hourly rate Jul 19, 2014

When it comes to proofreading, editing and/or localization (or 2 or 3 combined), you should charge your hourly rate.
If you charge 2/3 or 1/2 your per word translation rate, you might find yourself spending hours without getting paid for that time.

You know the value of 1 hour of your time, so it's secondary how or with what you are spending this hour, whether it's proofreading only or proofreading and localization, doesn't really matter....
See more
When it comes to proofreading, editing and/or localization (or 2 or 3 combined), you should charge your hourly rate.
If you charge 2/3 or 1/2 your per word translation rate, you might find yourself spending hours without getting paid for that time.

You know the value of 1 hour of your time, so it's secondary how or with what you are spending this hour, whether it's proofreading only or proofreading and localization, doesn't really matter.

[Edited at 2014-07-19 07:46 GMT]
Collapse

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alright with hourly, but... Jul 19, 2014

I am familiar with the content of this job, and this is an occurance where quoting per word might be advantageous, not to mention that the client asked for a per word quote.

Thank you for your response.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't see any sense in quoting a per-word rate Jul 19, 2014

You have to translate every word; you don't have to localise every word.

I suggest you examine the text carefully and then work on a portion of text. You can calculate a per-word rate from that sample.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:34
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Why per word? Jul 19, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

You have to translate every word; you don't have to localise every word.

I suggest you examine the text carefully and then work on a portion of text. You can calculate a per-word rate from that sample.

You only have to proofread and localize the document, based on your first post.

My question would be, are you going to quote a different (per word rate) for the proofreading, and another (per word rate) for the localization?

Let's say you have 5.000 words to be proofread, and 3.000 words requiring localization, then you would charge your client 5.000 x YYY plus 3.000 x ZZZ. Of course this is possible.

Let's also assume that there are a few or several words that turn out to be extremely difficult to localize. Let's say you localize 2 - 3 words in 5 minutes = 36 words per hour (or much faster, since this figure is just for demonstrative purposes). Suddenly you come across words that are extremely difficult to localize, e. g. 200, and you will need 5 - 10 minutes for each word = 12 - 6 words an hour. Granted, these figures are rather on the low side, but surely you see my point. The balance of both "szenarios" is a) 36 words x ZZZ per hour versus 6 - 12 words x ZZZ per hour.

A note on your clients request for a per word rate, most clients think down the line of translations for which a per-word-rate is perfect. This is probably what your client is basing this request on.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm located in Belgium Jul 19, 2014

NinonD wrote:

Thank for your response Teresa.
Would you have any idea of a per word rate for both tasks?

so my rates might be (quite) different from yours, but I don't mind saying that my standard rate for translation (EN-PT) is 0.12 EUR per word, for proofreading is 0.06 EUR per word and my hour rate is 40 EUR...

Ninon Dion
Canada
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 19, 2014

Basically I wanted to provide the client with the type of quote he wanted (client is an agency btw), even though I knew hourly quotes are customary in those instances, but I will go ahead and provide an hourly quote.

Thank you again, and you all have a great weekend.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much for proofreading AND localization?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »