Trados 2019 validation error, cannot generate target, Keyref fails to refer to some key
Thread poster: Yuki Okada
Yuki Okada
Yuki Okada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:46
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jun 14, 2022

I just finished translating a large docx file with 33k Japanese characters. However, I cannot generate a target file because of errors. The error message says:

SDLXLIFF validation error at line 1358 offset 611082: The key sequence 'XXX (omitted here)' in 'YYY (omitted here)' Keyref fails to refer to some key.

I have three errors with the same text except the XXX and YYY parts.
I clicked the error in the error report but it does not jump to the segment with error.
... See more
I just finished translating a large docx file with 33k Japanese characters. However, I cannot generate a target file because of errors. The error message says:

SDLXLIFF validation error at line 1358 offset 611082: The key sequence 'XXX (omitted here)' in 'YYY (omitted here)' Keyref fails to refer to some key.

I have three errors with the same text except the XXX and YYY parts.
I clicked the error in the error report but it does not jump to the segment with error.
My file has up to line 1078 and there is no line 1358 (not sure if this is supposed to refer to a Trados file line number).
I use Trados 2019 SR2.

I hope someone has a solution for this! Thank you for reading this.

Yuki
Collapse

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
P.S. Jun 14, 2022

I copied the content of the Word file over to a new Word file and generated a new Trados project with the same TM. I had to connect lots of segments (original Word file has lots of line-breaks within a sentence). The QA check did not report an error. However, when I tried to generate a target file, it was aborted due to the same three errors I originally got. The QA check now has three errors.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
RWS Jun 14, 2022

Think you'll probably get a quicker response from RWS (owner of SDL).
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio

Dan

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Jun 14, 2022

Thank you, Dan. That is a good point. I just posted it there.
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/42106/trados-2019-validation-error-cannot-generate-target-keyref-fails-to-refer-to-some-key

Yuki

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:46
English to Russian
Uncheck 'Validate SDL XLIFF documents before reading' Jun 14, 2022

I came across this error just yesterday. You can fix it by following these steps:
1. Close the SDLXLIFF file.
2. Go to File > Options (if you translate a single file project) or to Project Settings (if you translate a conventional Studio project) > File Types > SDLXLIFF > General
3. Uncheck the 'Validate SDL XLIFF documents before reading' option
4. Open your SDLXLIFF file.
5. Try saving again.

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unchecking validate didn't help... Jun 14, 2022

Thank you, Stepan.

I just did it, but it did not work.

I also looked for a corresponding setting for Microsoft Word (my original file type) just in case, but there is no such setting.

Strangely, I was able to generate a bilingual review file. This is what I need to deliver so I am more or less off the hook for now.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Hope RWS will help you Jun 14, 2022

You can also try Batch tasks > Export files > select 'Target version' in the wizard window. Not that often but sometimes it works.
Btw, when you unchecked it, was it Options or Project Settings?
If it didn't work for me yesterday, I would also try to add the file again (re-import, but not just close/open): make a copy of the original file with a different name, make sure that the above checkbox is unchecked and add the new file to the same project (drag and drop, then run the
... See more
You can also try Batch tasks > Export files > select 'Target version' in the wizard window. Not that often but sometimes it works.
Btw, when you unchecked it, was it Options or Project Settings?
If it didn't work for me yesterday, I would also try to add the file again (re-import, but not just close/open): make a copy of the original file with a different name, make sure that the above checkbox is unchecked and add the new file to the same project (drag and drop, then run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task).
If it is still no help, then I hope RWS know how to handle this.

Here are some more workarounds from RWS: https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000003606

[Edited at 2022-06-15 00:16 GMT]
Collapse

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disabling TM worked! Jun 15, 2022

Hi Stepan,

Thank you for following up. I really appreciate it.

I found Target version that you mentioned. However, what do you suggest I do with it? Change it to one of the other two?

I had unchecked Validation in Option after your first message. I then found that it was still enabled in Project Setting so I unchecked it there, too. It did not work completely. However, those three errors were gone and I got a new error which was happening during TM update.
... See more
Hi Stepan,

Thank you for following up. I really appreciate it.

I found Target version that you mentioned. However, what do you suggest I do with it? Change it to one of the other two?

I had unchecked Validation in Option after your first message. I then found that it was still enabled in Project Setting so I unchecked it there, too. It did not work completely. However, those three errors were gone and I got a new error which was happening during TM update.

Anyway, I went ahead and unchecked Update in TM during the Batch Processing wizard because it was the source of the error. It did not work.

I then unchecked "Enabled" for that TM. This one worked! I was able to generate a monolingual target file with no error.

I still don't know the source of the errors, but I was able to do what I needed to do anyway. Thank you very much, Stepan!

Yuki
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
どういたしまして Jun 15, 2022

Yuki Okada wrote:
I mean that you go to the list of Batch Tasks and run the 'Export files' batch task. When you go through its wizard, you can chose your output: Target version. Once you have selected it, you then proceed with the export process by clicking Finish. 2022-06-15_035612

[Edited at 2022-06-15 01:15 GMT]

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export worked Jun 15, 2022

Hi Stepan,

I see. I did it. And for some reason, even when I enabled the TM and its update, the exporting process ended with no error and I got the target file again. It was saved in a Trados default folder which is different from my original destination folder (not intentionally. I noticed it after the fact). I don't know what's happening, but it ended well.

Thanks again!

Yuki

Dan Lucas

Yuki Okada
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Regenerating TM worked Jul 10, 2022

I had a much smaller job from the same client, and Finalizing Batch Task filed at Updating TM again. This indicates that the original file or its size is not an issue - there must have been something wrong with the TM. So I exported the TM to .tmx and imported it to a blank TM. This worked!

I also had another job from an old client after two years or so (i.e. TM is old). I had the same error. I then exported and imported the TM and this new TM has no problem.

I also tr
... See more
I had a much smaller job from the same client, and Finalizing Batch Task filed at Updating TM again. This indicates that the original file or its size is not an issue - there must have been something wrong with the TM. So I exported the TM to .tmx and imported it to a blank TM. This worked!

I also had another job from an old client after two years or so (i.e. TM is old). I had the same error. I then exported and imported the TM and this new TM has no problem.

I also tried Update TM before doing the procedures above, but this did not help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2019 validation error, cannot generate target, Keyref fails to refer to some key

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »