Thread poster: Kay Denney
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:38
French to English
Jul 6, 2022

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting here so apologies if I'm not clear.
I'm working on a file here, and there are multiple instances of segments that end with a line break rather than with a full stop, and I desperately need to merge these segments.
But the button is greyed!
Does anyone know how to un-grey it?
IIRC it usually un-greys once you've selected two segments, but this isn't happening. Bizarrely, the split segment icon does un-grey at this point.... See more
Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting here so apologies if I'm not clear.
I'm working on a file here, and there are multiple instances of segments that end with a line break rather than with a full stop, and I desperately need to merge these segments.
But the button is greyed!
Does anyone know how to un-grey it?
IIRC it usually un-greys once you've selected two segments, but this isn't happening. Bizarrely, the split segment icon does un-grey at this point.
My grateful thanks in advance!
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:38
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Merging segments in Trados Jul 6, 2022

In Trados, I don't believe you can merge segments that are separated by a paragraph mark (hard return). You will need to go over the source document and change the paragraph marks to a soft return (shift+enter).

It's a long-standing shortcoming of Trados and is one reason why I switched to MemoQ some time ago. MemoQ allows merging segments across a paragraph mark, replacing it with a special tag.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:38
English to Russian
Setup option Jul 6, 2022

This is a project setup option. I mean you have to tick a checkbox when creating a project:

If it was not checked, you have to re-create the project.
Also you can try to go to Project Settings > Project > check the two boxes ('Allow source editing' and 'Enable merging..
... See more
This is a project setup option. I mean you have to tick a checkbox when creating a project:

If it was not checked, you have to re-create the project.
Also you can try to go to Project Settings > Project > check the two boxes ('Allow source editing' and 'Enable merging...') but I suppose* you still have to re-build your sdlxliff files which means that you have to remove your current file(s), then drag and drop the same file(s) again and run the 'Prepare without project TM' batch task.
*I am not sure though. First, just try to check the boxes. If it doesn't help, then re-prepare the files as I described above.

[Edited at 2022-07-06 14:08 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not a project setup option... Jul 6, 2022

... you can enable merging across paragraph breaks at any time. The exception being when working on a project package and if the person creating the project package deliberately disabled it. In your own projects you can always do this any time.

Just for info it's been possible since 2016.

Regards
Paul.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
. Jul 6, 2022

Thank you both for your prompt answers.
Since it was the PM who created the project, I suppose I'm stuck unless I ask her to recreate it.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Update Jul 6, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:
I suppose I'm stuck unless I ask her to recreate it.
I have just updated my reply above. Probably you can solve it by yourself...

Ah! I tried it and it worked. Ok, I was wrong with my assumption. Just go to Project Settings > Project and check the boxes accordingly.

[Edited at 2022-07-06 14:16 GMT]

Kay Denney
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
. Jul 6, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Ah! I tried it and it worked. Ok, I was wrong with my assumption. Just go to Project Settings > Project and check the boxes accordingly.

[Edited at 2022-07-06 14:16 GMT]

I so appreciate your help! When I found Project Settings > Project, the merging option was greyed though. Never mind, I'll muddle my way through somehow. I'm just wondering whether the PM can send a new package without me losing what I've already done, but I suppose I simply need to put everything in a TM (I don't like doing that until I'm fully satisfied with the translation but hey)

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Allow source editing Jul 6, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:
When I found Project Settings > Project, the merging option was greyed though.
It is greyed by default because the 'Allow source editing' is not checked. Try to check the 'Allow source editing' option first.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
. Jul 7, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
It is greyed by default because the 'Allow source editing' is not checked. Try to check the 'Allow source editing' option first.

That is greyed too in fact!

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
A workaround Jul 7, 2022

These options are greyed because they were disabled when the package was created. You still can enable them if you don't mind getting you hands a little dirty:

1. Close the Studio application.
2. Find the project settings file (.sdlproj) in your project folder. Make a backup copy of it, just to be covered.
3. Open the project settings file with any decent text editor such as Notepad++. Find the following two lines:

<Setting Id="AllowSourceEditing">Fals
... See more
These options are greyed because they were disabled when the package was created. You still can enable them if you don't mind getting you hands a little dirty:

1. Close the Studio application.
2. Find the project settings file (.sdlproj) in your project folder. Make a backup copy of it, just to be covered.
3. Open the project settings file with any decent text editor such as Notepad++. Find the following two lines:

<Setting Id="AllowSourceEditing">False</Setting>
<Setting Id="AllowMergeAcrossParagraphs">False</Setting>

Replace both instances of False with True. Save the file.

4. Open Studio and check the project settings. The "Allow source editing" and "Enable merging across paragraphs" options are still greyed but they should be enabled now.

[Edited at 2022-07-07 11:05 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segment merging greyed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »