Thread poster: toasty
toasty
toasty  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:33
Member (2013)
Italian to English
Aug 24, 2022

I'm working on a job that includes lots of numbers and measurements, written as formulas such as:

42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm

As part of the translation, I need to insert the equivalent of the total in inches. So:

42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm (8.27")

However, Trados keeps assigning 100% match status to segments that are not actually 100%. For example, one of the 100% matches to the above formula, according to Trados, is

112 ÷ 2 = 56 cm

This m
... See more
I'm working on a job that includes lots of numbers and measurements, written as formulas such as:

42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm

As part of the translation, I need to insert the equivalent of the total in inches. So:

42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm (8.27")

However, Trados keeps assigning 100% match status to segments that are not actually 100%. For example, one of the 100% matches to the above formula, according to Trados, is

112 ÷ 2 = 56 cm

This means it keeps overwriting all the formulas below it with the wrong cm to inch conversion. For example, the equation becomes:

112 ÷ 2 = 56 cm (8.27")

which is clearly wrong and a total pain because it keeps overwriting the real reps/100% matches.

How can I make Trados actually stick to real 100% matches? I.e., how can I make the 100% matches "stricter"? I'm using Studio 2022.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sounds like Aug 24, 2022

toasty wrote:
How can I make Trados actually stick to real 100% matches? I.e., how can I make the 100% matches "stricter"?

I know nothing of Trados, so I'm guessing you either have to increase the number difference penalty to more than "0" or you'd have to tell Trados not to treat numbers as placeables.

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
CRTL+L Lock the segments Aug 24, 2022

Hello,

I understand your problem.
Trados wants to correct with a 100% match because in your exemple Trados considers the segment as full of placeables.

42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm
all the numbers and the measure unit are placeables.

To prevent Trados to correct your translation you have to:
1) translate the segment
2) confirm the segment
3) going back to your segment
4) lock the segment by CRTL + L

Please, let me know if
... See more
Hello,

I understand your problem.
Trados wants to correct with a 100% match because in your exemple Trados considers the segment as full of placeables.

42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm
all the numbers and the measure unit are placeables.

To prevent Trados to correct your translation you have to:
1) translate the segment
2) confirm the segment
3) going back to your segment
4) lock the segment by CRTL + L

Please, let me know if that helps!

[Modifié le 2022-08-24 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

toasty
Italy
Member (2013)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you Aug 24, 2022

@Xanthippe - that's what I would normally do, but there are literally 1000s of these segments, it just isn't feasible to go one by one and lock them. Thank you for answering in any case.

@Samuel, I want Trados to treat numbers as placeables because some of them are true 100% matches; i.e., I want Studio to auto-fill for me. Correct me if I'm wrong on that logic.
I changed the penalties for basically everything to 2 and it seems to have worked. Thank you!

Xanthippe

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TM settings Aug 24, 2022

Open the main TM settings (settings of the main TM) and change what is recognized as placeables: numbers, variables, and measurements. That should do the trick.

Good luck,

Xanthippe

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:33
English to Russian
Regex algorithm Aug 25, 2022

You can use some simple regular expression like
[0-9] = [0-9]
to filter all such strings and handle them first.
Copy them all from source to target and replace cm with cm (") in target. If you have other units, do the same again with them: for example, replace °С with °С (°F) in target, etc.
That way you will have all such 'formula' segments pre-populated. Then go through them and insert the imperial conversion values between ( and
... See more
You can use some simple regular expression like
[0-9] = [0-9]
to filter all such strings and handle them first.
Copy them all from source to target and replace cm with cm (") in target. If you have other units, do the same again with them: for example, replace °С with °С (°F) in target, etc.
That way you will have all such 'formula' segments pre-populated. Then go through them and insert the imperial conversion values between ( and " or between ( and ° as in the above examples. Don't confirm them. Then select all segments and change their status to Translated, then press Ctrl+L to lock them to avoid spontaneous auto-propagation that could be disastrous for you.
*If you press Ctrl+Enter mechanically, no panic, just press Ctrl+Z or use the 'Clear Target Segment' command from where you triggered auto-propagation to the end of the filtered segments.
I recommend that you do it in 50 or 100-segment batches: insert values for the first 50 segments as described above, select them from 1 to 50, change status to Translated, lock. Insert values for the next 50 segments, select them from to 51 to 100, change status to Translated, lock. And so on.
Collapse

toasty

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Highly annoying Aug 25, 2022

This is an old, highly annoying problem with Trados Studio. Not Trados in general, because Trados 2007 handled it correctly.

toasty

toasty
Italy
Member (2013)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
maybe a partial solution Aug 25, 2022

@Stepan Your solution is definitely a good way of working, though it means that the true repetitions aren't filled in automatically, which was the whole reason I used Studio for this job to begin with. The problem is that there are true 100% matches, and I want Studio to auto-complete them because otherwise I have to manually fill in those as well, which means I'm back to square one.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Because placeables are non-translatable Aug 25, 2022

toasty wrote:
it means that the true repetitions aren't filled in automatically
A CAT tool will recognize a good match between '42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm' and '112 ÷ 2 = 56 cm', or even a repetition, provided only that it can recognize placeables.
If you disable the placeables recognition feature, then 42, 2, 21, 112, and 56 are merely different characters. No matches suggested.

On the other hand, if you enable the placeables recognition feature, the CAT tool will recognize [42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm] as a single placeable entirely consisting of non-tranlatable elements (numbers and a meas't unit) with one and the same division and equation symbols in between them, also non-translatable. With placeables enabled, [ ̶4̶2̶ non-translatable ÷ ̶2̶ non-translatable = ̶2̶1̶ non-translatable c̶m̶ non-translatable] is exactly the same as [ ̶1̶1̶2̶ non-translatable ÷ ̶2̶ non-translatable = ̶5̶6̶ non-translatable ̶c̶m̶ non-translatable]. That is why the CAT tool suggests identical translation for identical (from the CAT tool's standpoint) source segments.
By the way, memoQ works the same way with the only difference that it penalizes segments. That is '112 ÷ 2 = 56 cm' gives 80% of '42 ÷ 2 = 21 cm'. However the suggestion for it would be exactly the same: 41 ÷ 2 = 21 cm (8.27") and you still have to handle it manually.

Like memoQ today, Trados 2007 had a built-in conversion tool. That is why it seemed to handle it correctly. However, even with that MI converter, they had to remove it because of multiple conversion error reports from users.

[Edited at 2022-08-25 20:37 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Uncheck Numbers Aug 25, 2022

toasty wrote:
The problem is that there are true 100% matches, and I want Studio to auto-complete them because otherwise I have to manually fill in those as well
To this effect, you have to uncheck the Numbers box here:

to achieve this:

With that said, Trados could have already stored some wrong segments from your previous attempts. To prevent their wrong confirmation now, you should also uncheck the 'Confirm segment after applying an exact match' (File-Options-Editor-Automation). With that setting unchecked, Trados will only auto-propagate true 100% matches that you confirm manually and stop at the segments that have even 100% match in TM but were not auto-propagated. That way you would make sure that only true 100% matches are auto-propagated.

*Even though segment 3 in my screenshot is translated correctly, it was me who overtyped it manually. The idea is that Trados will not automatically confirm 100% matches from TM but only those you confirm manually (e.g., the 100% match in segment 5 will be populated and confirmed by auto-propagation after you confirm segment 1, but the 100% match in segment 3 will not be confirmed because it goes from TM).
**And if you plan to use pre-translation (for example, when you re-create your project), you should also disable confirmation for the 100% matches there too: Project Settings - Batch Processing - Pre-translate Files - uncheck 'Confirm 100% matches' and 'Confirm context matches'.

[Edited at 2022-08-26 00:00 GMT]

toasty

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 09:33
Member (2011)
English to German
@Stepan Aug 26, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

**And if you plan to use pre-translation (for example, when you re-create your project), you should also disable confirmation for the 100% matches there too: Project Settings - Batch Processing - Pre-translate Files - uncheck 'Confirm 100% matches' and 'Confirm context matches'.

[Edited at 2022-08-26 00:00 GMT]

Do you always perform a pre-translation before starting to translate?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Automatic pretranslation Aug 26, 2022

Marina Monica Steinbach wrote:
Do you always perform a pre-translation before starting to translate?
Pretranslation is used automatically when you prepare a file for translation. Also, there are some settings in Trados that, if changed, require to re-build the sdlxliff files to apply those setting changes.
Also, when something goes wrong, like incorrect autopropagation, etc., it can be easier to create a new project from scratch which again involves automatic pretranslation. That is why I mentioned it above to avoid adverse and unexpected behavior.

toasty
Italy
Member (2013)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Stepan Aug 26, 2022

Invaluable information and advice, thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100% matches not actually 100%

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »