US citizen billing for translation done in Spain
Thread poster: Sallybegood
Sallybegood
Sallybegood
United States
Spanish to English
Nov 6, 2014

I am a retired professor, fluent in Spanish, helping out an academic friend by translating her articles into English. Her university has the funds to pay me, but how? This will be a very occasional activity, and I not a Spanish resident, although I have a NIF (not NIE) and a Spanish bank account because I own a flat in Spain. Ideally, I would want the payment made to my Spanish bank, but not have to declare the IVA or Social Security as I am not a resident.
Thanks for any advice you al
... See more
I am a retired professor, fluent in Spanish, helping out an academic friend by translating her articles into English. Her university has the funds to pay me, but how? This will be a very occasional activity, and I not a Spanish resident, although I have a NIF (not NIE) and a Spanish bank account because I own a flat in Spain. Ideally, I would want the payment made to my Spanish bank, but not have to declare the IVA or Social Security as I am not a resident.
Thanks for any advice you all may have!
Collapse

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
US tax system Nov 6, 2014

You would need to issue an invoice using the US tax system (I have no idea how that works with Spanish companies, I would ask the university for advice) as you are a resident of the US. I take it you live in the US?

If you live in Spain, you would have to register at Hacienda at least, if the amount is under approximately €6,000. If you invoice above that in a year, you would need to register at the Seguridad Social also.

If this is just a one-time thing, you could as
... See more
You would need to issue an invoice using the US tax system (I have no idea how that works with Spanish companies, I would ask the university for advice) as you are a resident of the US. I take it you live in the US?

If you live in Spain, you would have to register at Hacienda at least, if the amount is under approximately €6,000. If you invoice above that in a year, you would need to register at the Seguridad Social also.

If this is just a one-time thing, you could ask someone you trust in Spain to issue an invoice on your behalf, who would get the money in their account to then transfer to you. They would have to deduct 21% VAT. I have to state that I've not done this, but have heard that it goes on.

You could also come to an 'arrangement' with the university, but this is, of course, illegal.

Hope you get it sorted.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:17
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It all depends on US laws Nov 6, 2014

You aren't an 'autonomo' and you don't live in Spain, so you can't invoice from Spain.

Fortunately for you, it doesn't sound as though th US authorities are very demanding (unlike the Spanish). From what I've heard, you don't have to register or anything; just write the invoice, get paid (into any bank anywhere and in any currency) and then declare the income.

But don't take my word for it.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Invoice from US Nov 6, 2014

As Sheila stated, you are a US resident, you invoice from the US and as far as payment is concerned, you need to find out if receiving it in the Spanish account may change things (but I doubt it). You'll have to declare your incomes from this job in your US tax return.

Sallybegood
Sallybegood
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the advice! Nov 6, 2014

Since I am a US resident, it sounds like I give the invoice to the university with my US address and passport number, and they can waive the IVA. Or I do that thing at the airport on my way out? How I report the income to the Feds will be my problem.
Thanks!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:17
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Forget about IVA/VAT Nov 6, 2014

It's an EU tax and has no place on an American invoice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US citizen billing for translation done in Spain

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »