How much to charge for PM activity (not in-house)
Thread poster: Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:56
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2009

Hi ProZians

A new client is asking me to be his PM for a given project. It is a big one, and the total number of words is yet to be determined long after the project starts, it could be from 50,000 to 300,000 words in total. This is NOT an in-house position, and I would be actually managing this project, while at the same time I would go on with my usual activity as a freelancer.

How much would you charge for this activity? For me, the easiest thing would be to charge "
... See more
Hi ProZians

A new client is asking me to be his PM for a given project. It is a big one, and the total number of words is yet to be determined long after the project starts, it could be from 50,000 to 300,000 words in total. This is NOT an in-house position, and I would be actually managing this project, while at the same time I would go on with my usual activity as a freelancer.

How much would you charge for this activity? For me, the easiest thing would be to charge "per managed word", with the same criterion as you charge for proofreading "per word". Is there such a thing?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Best,
Fabio
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In case of being a PM rate per hour seems more appropriate Aug 4, 2009

especially that it is practically impossible to determine in advance how much work is going to be required. But if you get a good rate per word it still may be a good deal and it will give you motivation to organize your work more efficiently.

BR
S

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Fabio! Aug 4, 2009

As Stanislaw said, PM work is charged by the hour; you can calculate the average time you´ll spend daily based on the number of people involved.
It´s less time consuming to coordinate the work of 2 translators and a proofreader than the work of 8 people.

Will you be translating or proofreading too? In that case, you should take into account the time you won´t be doing either task.

I´ve coordinated two large projects so far, involving up to 8 translators/proofr
... See more
As Stanislaw said, PM work is charged by the hour; you can calculate the average time you´ll spend daily based on the number of people involved.
It´s less time consuming to coordinate the work of 2 translators and a proofreader than the work of 8 people.

Will you be translating or proofreading too? In that case, you should take into account the time you won´t be doing either task.

I´ve coordinated two large projects so far, involving up to 8 translators/proofreaders, and I spent an average of 2 hours everyday sending and receiving emails and approving terminology. Though, if I had known the Private Kudoz and Forum features at that time it would had been a lot easier.

Hope this helps!
Marina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for PM activity (not in-house)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »