Thread poster: Yves Jacques
Yves Jacques
Yves Jacques  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:53
English to French
+ ...
Mar 24, 2010

For an agency requesting a bid, what is considered a source word?
Is it every word in the document? Is it a 5 character segment? Or do they consider new words as a source word?

The reason for my asking is that I bid on a job at 0.10usd new words, 0.08usd fuzzy words and 0.02usd for 100% and repetitions. The agency came back stating that it is too expensive and are offering 0.09usd per source word.

Who's the winner in this game?

Thanks and regards,
... See more
For an agency requesting a bid, what is considered a source word?
Is it every word in the document? Is it a 5 character segment? Or do they consider new words as a source word?

The reason for my asking is that I bid on a job at 0.10usd new words, 0.08usd fuzzy words and 0.02usd for 100% and repetitions. The agency came back stating that it is too expensive and are offering 0.09usd per source word.

Who's the winner in this game?

Thanks and regards,
Seadag
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:53
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Two different questions Mar 24, 2010

Hi Yves

Maybe you should ask two different questions:
1) What is a source word? In my experience, for an agency, a source word is "whatever is counted by the Trados Analyse function". So this should be no serious doubt. And your way to quote, USD 0.10 "for new words", etc. seems conceptually correct.
2) Is your price of "USD 0.10 for new words" too high for that agency in particular, and for that language pair in particular? That is yet another very different ques
... See more
Hi Yves

Maybe you should ask two different questions:
1) What is a source word? In my experience, for an agency, a source word is "whatever is counted by the Trados Analyse function". So this should be no serious doubt. And your way to quote, USD 0.10 "for new words", etc. seems conceptually correct.
2) Is your price of "USD 0.10 for new words" too high for that agency in particular, and for that language pair in particular? That is yet another very different question. Personally, I don't think that to be "expensive" at all, on the contrary.

Regards,
Fabio

[Edited at 2010-03-24 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:53
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Every word in the source document is considered a source word. Mar 24, 2010

Replying to your question, whether the words in the source text are new words, fuzzy matches, repetitions, etc. everything is considered as source words. They're making a distinction since there is a TM for the project which you placed a bid, but that doesn't mean that the number of source words in the original document would be decreased or halved. If there are 10,000 source words in the original document, then it's 10,000 source words to translate. However, if there is a TM, and if there are f... See more
Replying to your question, whether the words in the source text are new words, fuzzy matches, repetitions, etc. everything is considered as source words. They're making a distinction since there is a TM for the project which you placed a bid, but that doesn't mean that the number of source words in the original document would be decreased or halved. If there are 10,000 source words in the original document, then it's 10,000 source words to translate. However, if there is a TM, and if there are fuzzy matches, repetitions, etc. this will reduce your time spent on translating these segments.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agree with Fabio Mar 24, 2010

Fabio Descalzi wrote:
In my experience, for an agency, a source word is "whatever is counted by the Trados Analyse function".

Yes, that is what I wanted to say as well. A word is the unit that the agency's word counting software counts as a word. For languages with spaces between words, this is usually anything with a space or a punctuation mark on either side, regardless of word length.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:53
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Source vs. target word Mar 24, 2010

I think the point is that the agency is specifying "source word" to make sure you understand they are basing the pricing on the volume of the source files (and not the "target", the translated files). This is an important point to agree on, as the number of words may change (increase or decrease) when going from one language to another.
You probably meant "per source word" in your quote, too, but did not specify it explicitly - the agency did to prevent misunderstanding.

I thi
... See more
I think the point is that the agency is specifying "source word" to make sure you understand they are basing the pricing on the volume of the source files (and not the "target", the translated files). This is an important point to agree on, as the number of words may change (increase or decrease) when going from one language to another.
You probably meant "per source word" in your quote, too, but did not specify it explicitly - the agency did to prevent misunderstanding.

I think the rate they suggested to you was probably the "base" or "full" rate (for new words). So, they say 0.09 as opposed to your 0.10. If they did not say anything about the fuzzies and reps, that means they either:
A) don't use such discounts (that would be a good thing), or
B) they accept your rate for those, or
C) they want proportionally discounted rates based on the 0.09 full rate, or
D) they want completely different discounts but they are not telling you that.

In other words, you need to ask more questions from them, and clarify these issues.

By the way, did they ask you up front for TM discounts?
Have you seen the TM, do you know what quality is that?

If your answer for any of these questions is NO, then you may be in the process of shooting yourself in the foot.

Katalin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is considered a source word?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »