Translating multiple book titles authored by subject of C.V. / + Publishing Houses in C.V.
Thread poster: Mark Fessenden
Mark Fessenden
Mark Fessenden
Mexico
Local time: 02:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2021

Hi. I'm translating a C.V. for a chef who has authored several books, which are listed along with the name of the publisher and the year of each edition (of the same book). I feel I should include the original Spanish-language title and also provide an English-language translation (most have not been published in English), so the reader can both look up the published book and also have an idea of what the title is in English. I just want to double check because it's going to add a lot of length ... See more
Hi. I'm translating a C.V. for a chef who has authored several books, which are listed along with the name of the publisher and the year of each edition (of the same book). I feel I should include the original Spanish-language title and also provide an English-language translation (most have not been published in English), so the reader can both look up the published book and also have an idea of what the title is in English. I just want to double check because it's going to add a lot of length to this already lengthy C.V.

+

All the publishers are listed by name "Editorial xxx". As proper names I wouldn't say they need to be translated, but not knowing how much the reader will know about the subject's home market, I'm worried about leaving them without any keys to deciphering their meaning.

I don't get asked to do C.V.s very often. I appreciate any input. Cheers and thank you
Collapse

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:47
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Ask the final client what they want Nov 24, 2021

Hello,

In a similar situation, I would explain the client and offer at least two options for each problem (i.e. for the titles question: option 1 translating the titles and giving the source title or, option 2 just a footnote for the whole CV with a link to an online bibliography or option 3 a line stating "call me for more info" or option 4 leaving titles in their source language and noting more or... any other option you can find). I would explain each option with all the advantag
... See more
Hello,

In a similar situation, I would explain the client and offer at least two options for each problem (i.e. for the titles question: option 1 translating the titles and giving the source title or, option 2 just a footnote for the whole CV with a link to an online bibliography or option 3 a line stating "call me for more info" or option 4 leaving titles in their source language and noting more or... any other option you can find). I would explain each option with all the advantages and disadvantages I can find for each, I would give them my best recommended option and ask them to make a choice.

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tom in London
Tina Vonhof (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Standard practice? Nov 24, 2021

I'm not clear what the standard practice is, but based on the books I read myself, my own practice is always to stick to the original titles (in this case, in Spanish) and the name of the original (Spanish) publisher.

And say nothing else.

Anyone (like me) who habitually reads academic texts will know that references to publications are always given in the language of the edition to which the author of the text has referred - even if those publications were translati
... See more
I'm not clear what the standard practice is, but based on the books I read myself, my own practice is always to stick to the original titles (in this case, in Spanish) and the name of the original (Spanish) publisher.

And say nothing else.

Anyone (like me) who habitually reads academic texts will know that references to publications are always given in the language of the edition to which the author of the text has referred - even if those publications were translations from some other language.

For example: the Author of a book I recently translated from Italian to English used a citation from a Brazilian book. In her footnotes she cites the book as:

LERNER, J., Acopuntura Urbana, Editora Record, Rio de Janeiro, 2003

The same book has also been published in English but it would not be correct, in my opinion, to provide the English title, the other publisher's name, place of publication, and date !

So in your case I would stick to mentioning books *as they actually exist* - not to non-existent versions in other languages.

If you want to suggest that you could translate them - there might be a nice little earner for you there!

[Edited at 2021-11-24 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Mark Fessenden
Mark Fessenden
Mexico
Local time: 02:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback! Nov 25, 2021

I really appreciate it.
Titles were left untranslated. There was a bio/cover letter that went along with the CV that mentioned several titles and there I did put translations in parentheses.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating multiple book titles authored by subject of C.V. / + Publishing Houses in C.V.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »