Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 15, 2004

I looked in the manual but did not find an answer.
I have a document, where only the headings and some sentences in between had to be translated. When I now want to look through the document befor cleanup, I cannot use the normal Alt+down command, because then Wf also displays the not yet translated segments. Is there a commant that lets me scan through this document so that Wf only displays the already translated segments?
Regards
Heinrich

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:35
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Try using bookmarks Oct 15, 2004

I don't know if this is the best solution, but it might help you in this situation:

If you use the "Go To" function and choose "Bookmarks" on the scroll-down menu on the left, a list of bookmarks should appear on the right, including Wf bookmarks (e.g. Last segment). Click on this to go to that particular segment. Obviously, you won't have the Wordfast format with different coloured boxes etc., but if you just want to check a couple of segments, it might be worth a try.

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
mark untranslated text as untranslatable Oct 15, 2004

Hi Heinrich,

As you already translated, probably closing the session and opening it again on the next segment you needed to translate, you should mark the text that didn't need translating with an untranslatable attribute (eg. red marching ants) and activate this option in WF.
You'll have to leave source and target free of untranslatable attributes so do the marking with all the text visible so you don't mark anything you don't need by accident.

When you check, WF
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

As you already translated, probably closing the session and opening it again on the next segment you needed to translate, you should mark the text that didn't need translating with an untranslatable attribute (eg. red marching ants) and activate this option in WF.
You'll have to leave source and target free of untranslatable attributes so do the marking with all the text visible so you don't mark anything you don't need by accident.

When you check, WF should go through the translated (unmarked) segments only.

It's easier if you do this before translating, so you don't have to worry about hidden text.

HTH,
Grace.

ps. forgot to add...once you finished checking you can do the clean up, then Select All and disable the untranslatable attribute you applied.

[Edited at 2004-10-15 09:37]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Graciela Oct 15, 2004

but that would be too much trouble. It seems Wf does not have such a command yet. I thought there could be one, only that I couldn't find it. In Metatexis this is easier. Should have used Metatexis for this job.
Now I've sent off this file already, scanned it by hand.
Regards

Heinrich

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:35
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Alt+End and Alt+Down Oct 15, 2004

Hi Heinrich,

In such cases you should use Alt+End when you don't want to translate the following line, place your mouse pointer on the text you want to segment next and push Alt+Down.

Regards,
Gerard

Sorry Heinrich,

I didn't read the question very well.

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2004-10-15 10:04]

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
it does :) Oct 15, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
It seems Wf does not have such a command yet.

Sometimes a bit hidden...but I think this feature has always been there. In the last beta version is in the Segments section.

Anyway, Gerard's option is a quick and simple one (I think this is what you must have done to translate in the first place).

Regards,
Grace.

ps. Gerard: he had the document translated, but I guess your option is still valid for the revision

[Edited at 2004-10-15 10:18]

[Edited at 2004-10-15 10:18]

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was not the question Oct 15, 2004

The file was translated using Wf, and forcing the next segment every time. But after that Wf is not able to scan ONLY the translated segments in a simple way, but always goes to the next sentence, even if it is not translated. The 'marching ants' feature is known to me, but it is not very trustworthy, as I found out before.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to jump to the next segment pair?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »