Thread poster: Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Vert-ical Tr (X)
Vert-ical Tr (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 08:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hello to everyone! Oct 8, 2010

I am very happy to see that this forum has been created.
Unfortunately, due to some deadlines, I missed the Virtual Conference this year. I have since gone back and have had a look at some of the topics and found that this forum had been suggested. What a great idea! Hopefully, this forum will turn out to be a useful supplemental tool and meeting place for translators working in this complex field.
I wish you all a good day!

Kim Verhoef
Netherlands

Sibylle de Schmidt
Sibylle de Schmidt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Finally - I can follow postings Oct 8, 2010

Finally a comprehensive method how to follow interesting posts. I never succeeded for even one forum..;o)

Thank you!

Sibylle

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

Vincenzo Di Maso wrote:

Nice to meet you!!!
We are already 4 so far

Hello Vincenzo,
Nice to meet you too

Do not worry, we are far more than 4. Let me add that we receive a lot of congratulations for this opening from Linked-In and other communities. Err...yesterday, I advertised a little

A little reminder for those who want to follow the activities of this forum:

1) Go to the top of this page
2) Above the title of the thread, click on "Medical" in the line showing : Translation - art & business » Medical »
3) You arrive on the page with a table displaying the whole content of this forum. (There, you can see that ProZ has gathered medical topics from past years together into this forum, which I find interesting)
4) On that page with the content of the forum, you go down to the bottom of the page and you'll see in the right column a framed box titled Email tracking
Get notified of new posts in this forum

5) In the box you chose your preferences for notifications (new topics or all posts or no notification)
6) Don't forget to click on Save changes

And, so, you'll keep informed

Have a nice day

Catherine

MMUlr
MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hi Kim, Oct 8, 2010

Vert-ical Tr wrote:

I am very happy to see that this forum has been created.
Unfortunately, due to some deadlines, I missed the Virtual Conference this year. I have since gone back and have had a look at some of the topics and found that this forum had been suggested. What a great idea! Hopefully, this forum will turn out to be a useful supplemental tool and meeting place for translators working in this complex field.
I wish you all a good day! ...

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this new special forum today ...
Let's make the best of it!

Regards, Margret
(Translator + Medical Doctor)

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
ENG/ENG Oct 8, 2010

Lionel_M wrote:

As far as I can figure out, language here's English "only" !
So this will allow to discuss issues one would miss in Kudows when posted in a laguage pair you don't practice.

...Lionel

Lionel,

Kudoz has an English monolingual section (as in any other language) too.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:09
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations! Oct 8, 2010

I hope the inauguration of this forum could lead to the opening of some other career-related forums, like Electronics Engineering.

Lionel_M (X)
Lionel_M (X)
English to French
+ ...
I was not clear Oct 8, 2010

I ment that is you have a German "issue" to translate into Spanish, and don't practice these languages, you'll miss this "issue".
Kudows En/EN is another thing no ?

Walter Landesman wrote:

Lionel_M wrote:

As far as I can figure out, language here's English "only" !
So this will allow to discuss issues one would miss in Kudows when posted in a laguage pair you don't practice.

...Lionel

Lionel,

Kudoz has an English monolingual section (as in any other language) too.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ellaborate, please. Oct 8, 2010

Lionel_M wrote:

I ment that is you have a German "issue" to translate into Spanish, and don't practice these languages, you'll miss this "issue".

I am afraid I don`t understand what you mean.

If it is a German issue, you may use German monolingual Kudoz or German/Spanish Kudoz.

Or maybe I am not getting what your point is.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
An example Oct 14, 2010

Walter Landesman wrote:

Lionel_M wrote:

I am afraid I don`t understand what you mean.

If it is a German issue, you may use German monolingual Kudoz or German/Spanish Kudoz.

Or maybe I am not getting what your point is.

Dear Walter,
It happened to me yesterday à 00:51 (CET)
I don't understand the first word of German.
However, in the translation EN>FR I had to finish before 08:00 (AM, CET), just in the middle of a sentence appeared 2 German words.

So, I asked for the help of the Medical_Translation list. Why? Because, taking into account the fact that it was so late in the night - or so early in the morning - I was only hoping that somebody understanding German could help me with an explanation or a translation of this term in one of my working languages. I was not particularly expecting a direct translation into French.

And it happened that two EN mother-tongue colleagues saw my request and replied immediately with the EN translation. Then, I only had to re-translate it into FR.

It could have happened that the answer came from Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking colleagues. It would also have been a good help and solution for me.

This is this kind of particular issues that cannot be solved with a question necessarily asked in an "only-one-pair-of-languages-at-once" context.

Is it clearer ?

Have a nice day
Catherine

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
Spanish to English
Greetings Feb 12, 2011

I too am glad to see this forum, although not a qualified translator or interpreter, i am preparing for my DPSI(Health) option in Sept 2011.

I have found this forum of great assistance, and many forums i have come across are Legal ones, so it is nice to see medical ones from time to time.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Just chiming in... Mar 9, 2011

Hello to all,
I am not a medical translator stricto sensu by now, but have some major familial atavism pushing me in that direction in general and towards forensic anthropology, psychology and psychiatry in particular.

So my rather broad question to the colleagues working as medical translators is: how does someone "become" a medical translator?

Mami Yamaguchi
Mami Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:09
Member (2008)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Hi! Mar 9, 2011

Lucky to find this forum!
My expertise is basic medicine and general.

[Edited at 2011-03-10 04:26 GMT]

Radosveta Golden
Radosveta Golden  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Hi, everybody!:) Mar 11, 2011

I don't see many discussions here yet, but it is wonderful to see an increasing medical translators group

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Welcome to all Medical Translators !!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »