Thread poster: Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 6, 2010

I'm happy to see that ProZ offered us this possibility to discuss medical issues. I really want to say thanks a lot to the staff, namely to Lucia !

Now, who will be the first ?

Long live to our forum.

Catherine

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
hello Oct 7, 2010

I'm here
and available to discuss any relevant matter
but not now that I'm going to sleep ...
;-D

Claudio

Mario Gonzalez
Mario Gonzalez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:43
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Signing in! Oct 7, 2010

I am glad to see this forum, we can fight over stroke translation here also, haha.

Greetings

Vincenzo Di Maso
Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:43
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
hello! Oct 7, 2010

Nice to meet you!!!
We are already 4 so far

Jose Montero
Jose Montero  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
5, we are five Oct 7, 2010

Nice to see we can start this forum about medical translations.

Sibylle de Schmidt
Sibylle de Schmidt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
5...;o) Oct 7, 2010

Hello,

just got the message. I only ask myself, whether terminology can be discussed here, because it's all in English...

Anyway, about QA issues, agency demands and sortlike topics I think, this is a very interesting idea.

Kind regards,

Sibylle

Adnan Mustafa
Adnan Mustafa
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...
Pharmaceuticals Oct 7, 2010

Nice place for pharmaceuticals, also!

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Hello, and a little reminder to all those interested in the Medical forum Oct 7, 2010

Vincenzo Di Maso wrote:

Nice to meet you!!!
We are already 4 so far

Hello Vincenzo,
Nice to meet you too

Do not worry, we are far more than 4. Let me add that we receive a lot of congratulations for this opening from Linked-In and other communities. Err...yesterday, I advertised a little

A little reminder for those who want to follow the activities of this forum:

1) Go to the top of this page
2) Above the title of the thread, click on "Medical" in the line showing : Translation - art & business » Medical »
3) You arrive on the page with a table displaying the whole content of this forum. (There, you can see that ProZ has gathered medical topics from past years together into this forum, which I find interesting)
4) On that page with the content of the forum, you go down to the bottom of the page and you'll see in the right column a framed box titled Email tracking
Get notified of new posts in this forum

5) In the box you chose your preferences for notifications (new topics or all posts or no notification)
6) Don't forget to click on Save changes

And, so, you'll keep informed

Have a nice day

Catherine

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terminology Oct 7, 2010

Sibylle de Schmidt wrote:

Hello,

just got the message. I only ask myself, whether terminology can be discussed here, because it's all in English...

Sibylle

I still think that the place for discusing terminology is Kudoz.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Terminology Oct 7, 2010

Walter Landesman wrote:

Sibylle de Schmidt wrote:

Hello,

Sibylle

I still think that the place for discusing terminology is Kudoz.

Hi Walter,

We can bump into many Kudoz medical questions, which are actually so brand new terms that you cannot find any information about them. For example medical instrument parts, without images.. To create the correct translation first you want to know what it means in English, whether anybody has met the given term and when you are among translators, who are specialized in medical translation, it's more likely that you receive the correct answer since maybe somebody had already translated that term but to a different language than yours. I think it is more efficient than asking the term in from English to English pair for example. So when the answer/answers are not satisfactory on kudoz, or you have doubts, you have this forum as a "second help".
You can discuss your opinion, your doubts concerning a term ..
What do you think?

Best regards,
Katalin

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
last resort Oct 7, 2010

Hi Katalin,

I think since Kudoz already has a debate section, I`d use this forum only as a last resort.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No professional term debates Oct 7, 2010

Walter Landesman wrote:

Hi Katalin,

I think since Kudoz already has a debate section, I`d use this forum only as a last resort.

Hi Walter,

According to a new FAQ rule, a professional discussion is extremely limited in the discussion:

http://www.proz.com/faq/119464#119464

3.14 - Under what conditions can an answerer use the discussion entries feature? [Direct link]

Answerers can use the discussion entry to ask the asker for context information or to engage in linguistic discussions of some points of the question asked. In general, opinions on other answers should be provided in the peer grading interface while additional comments supporting their answers should be presented as comments in the answers themselves. Systematic use of the discussion entry to promote an answer provided will not be allowed.

Katalin

[Edited at 2010-10-07 16:13 GMT]

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Katalin et coll. About Terminology Oct 7, 2010

Of course, Kudoz stays the first step on ProZ for terminological questions.

I understand what you mean, Katalin. This need for specific and sophisticated terminological discussions has been met for more than 10 years by the mailing-list Medical_Translation http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/medical_translation/
where all languages are accepted simultaneousl
... See more

I understand what you mean, Katalin. This need for specific and sophisticated terminological discussions has been met for more than 10 years by the mailing-list Medical_Translation http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/medical_translation/
where all languages are accepted simultaneously.

I mean if you have, for instance, a terminological issue about the name of a new surgical device property, that nobody has never yet translated from English to Turkish, and you can't even figure out what it is exactly, you can discuss directly and simultaneously in both languages with colleagues specializing in both languages and in that very specific domain, and try to find together the appropriate neologism. And nothing will stop some colleagues working in the EN>IT pair, for instance again, from joining the discussion, if interested in the search of the corresponding Italian neologism. There is no limit, provided that you discuss terminology.

I am not advertising, just suggesting a solution to a specific need

Have a nice evening
Catherine
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Good idea Oct 7, 2010

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:

where all languages are accepted simultaneously.

I mean if you have, for instance, a terminological issue about the name of a new surgical device property, that nobody has never yet translated from English to Turkish, and you can't even figure out what it is exactly, you can discuss directly and simultaneously in both languages with colleagues specializing in both languages and in that very specific domain, and try to find together the appropriate neologism. And nothing will stop some colleagues working in the EN>IT pair, for instance again, from joining the discussion, if interested in the search of the corresponding Italian neologism. There is no limit, provided that you discuss terminology.

I am not advertising, just suggesting a solution to a specific need

Have a nice evening
Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for reminding me.

Regards,
Katalin

Lionel_M (X)
Lionel_M (X)
English to French
+ ...
English Oct 7, 2010

As far as I can figure out, language here's English "only" !
So this will allow to discuss issues one would miss in Kudows when posted in a laguage pair you don't practice.

.....am I clear ?

In any case, "hello everybody" and thanks a lot Catherine and ProZ Staff for this opportunity.

Cheers,

Lionel

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Welcome to all Medical Translators !!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »