Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:55
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Sep 24, 2012

A new course starts today at Coursera, called Writing in the Sciences. It looks quite interesting for medical translators (particularly if you translate into English) so I thought it would be worth mentioning it here.

I've just enrolled on it and I'm going to do it in my own time bec
... See more
A new course starts today at Coursera, called Writing in the Sciences. It looks quite interesting for medical translators (particularly if you translate into English) so I thought it would be worth mentioning it here.

I've just enrolled on it and I'm going to do it in my own time because I'm already taking another course right now (see http://www.proz.com/forum/medical/231676-free_online_statistics_course.html for details of the stats course).

It looks like a great opportunity for Continuing Professional Development and improving your writing skills in the medical field.

[Edited at 2012-09-25 06:31 GMT]
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Great! Sep 24, 2012

Hi Emma,

Thanks a lot for the resource!

Einara Einarsdóttir
Einara Einarsdóttir  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 23:55
German to Icelandic
+ ...
Thank you Emma for informing me about this. Sep 24, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

A new course starts today at Coursera, called Writing for the Sciences. It looks quite interesting for medical translators (particularly if you translate into English) so I thought it would be worth mentioning it here.

I've just enrolled on it and I'm going to do it in my own time because I'm already taking another course right now (see http://www.proz.com/forum/medical/231676-free_online_statistics_course.html for details of the stats course).

It looks like a great opportunity for Continuing Professional Development and improving your writing skills in the medical field.

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Emma! Sep 24, 2012

Somehow I missed this course and it sounds really interesting. The Mathematical Biostatistics course (https://class.coursera.org/biostats-2012-001/class/index) started today too but I think the Statistics One is enough stats for me for now.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
The two extremes Sep 25, 2012

Kevin Clayton wrote:

Statistics One is enough stats for me for now.

Yes, I agree! Statistics One is turning out to be very challenging, and not "very simple, very basic, fundamental concepts" as mentioned in the course intro.

I've watched the first few videos of the "Writing in the Sciences" course and so far it's just the opposite of the stats course. Hopefully it'll get more interesting as it progresses.

Emma

Clara Nino
Clara Nino
Canada
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Taking the course Sep 25, 2012

Hi, Emma,
I am taking the course on Writing for the Science, it is very interesting, I still have not watched all the videos for week 1, it is a fast-paced one, you have to complete the homeworks for Sunday!

Very nice resource!!

Clara

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you Sep 25, 2012

Thanks for this link Emma. I won't be taking writing in the sciences, but I'd never heard of Coursera before, and this has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me! I don't have access to anything like this where I live.

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Totally agree! Sep 26, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Statistics One is turning out to be very challenging, and not "very simple, very basic, fundamental concepts" as mentioned in the course intro.

Yep! I'm spending a lot more time than expected on it - almost 3 hours so far on this week's lectures and I'm only halfway through. And I need to go back and re-watch the first week's lectures as I didn't take any notes. At least I think it'll be worth the effort. In fact, one of the papers I edited this week used the path mediation analysis method discussed in this week's lectures. I hadn't heard of it previously.

Anahí Vinokur Jeinson (X)
Anahí Vinokur Jeinson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Muy buen dato Sep 26, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

[Edited at 2012-09-25 06:31 GMT]

¡Muy buen dato Emma! Me acabo de apuntar, he visto los videos y hecho los primeros "deberes". De momento bien, ¿no? ¿Te han gustado los videos? Espero que no sean muy aburridos la semana que viene, sobre verbos... Ojalá nos iluminen con algo novedoso que ayude a traducir

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update on the Writing Course Oct 11, 2012

A quick update to say that the course is turning out to be quite interesting. The lecturer brings home important points about making writing slick and to the point. She edits out a lot of "waffle" - something that is very hard to do as a translator - but also restructures whole paragraphs, which is an area that certainly can be applied to translation.

When I opened this thread I mentioned that the course is particularly for people who write in English, but now I would also recommen
... See more
A quick update to say that the course is turning out to be quite interesting. The lecturer brings home important points about making writing slick and to the point. She edits out a lot of "waffle" - something that is very hard to do as a translator - but also restructures whole paragraphs, which is an area that certainly can be applied to translation.

When I opened this thread I mentioned that the course is particularly for people who write in English, but now I would also recommend it to anyone who writes in scientific fields, whatever your language.

It would be great if some of my Spanish clients would follow the tips given in this course. For a start, they could cut out those long, convoluted single-sentence paragraphs, when the verb doesn't come until the very end.

You can still sign up for it now. You won't get a certificate for completion if you enrol late and do it at your own pace, but I think the course contents far outweigh the limited value of the certificate.
Collapse

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Very interesting Oct 11, 2012

I am taking this course and I think it is very interesting. I normally don't write in English because it is "only" my source language, but the course is nevertheless useful and an eye-opener.

Thanks for the recommendation of coursera! They offer a lot of interesting courses. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take all the courses which sound interesting.

Ricardy Ricot
Ricardy Ricot  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
French to English
+ ...
Addicted to Coursera Nov 6, 2012

Seems like you are quite addicted to Coursera, Emma. Continue the good work. I took one of their classes before. It was quite interesting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Writing in the Sciences

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »