Thread poster: Peter Motte
James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
Levelized Cost of Energy Feb 25, 2022

The relative economics of renewables and fossil/nuclear are changing a lot these days.
For example
https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-levelized-cost-of-storage-and-levelized-cost-of-hydrogen/

[Edited at 2022-02-25 12:27 GMT]

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 00:33
German to English
. Feb 25, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

Renewables are the world's cheapest energy source -- especially if you factor in consequential costs.

So why are energy prices so high in Germany, a country that is intent on rejecting coal and nuclear energy?

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
2 + 2 = 5 Feb 25, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

So why are energy prices so high in Germany, a country that is intent on rejecting coal and nuclear energy?

It's too simplistic to look at Germany in isolation. Higher demand for and lower supply of energy worldwide is one of the big factors, with many countries stepping up their industrial output as we exit Covid. If you want to see rampant gas prices, google "Spain" and "gas price".

While carbon pricing and tariffs do indeed play a (secondary) role in electricity prices, one of the main reasons they're relatively high in Germany is that past governments broke their promises and failed to back renewables after deciding to phase out nuclear. If they'd have done more, then we'd be in a far better position. It's fair to assume that the faster the new government implements their plans, the faster electricity prices will fall. That said, Germany should certainly be doing more to help people on lower incomes get through this difficult period.

Others have rightly pointed to the enormous long-term problems associated with coal and atomic power. And anyone who believes climate change is a myth hasn't been paying attention. The droughts in Brazil have led to a huge drop in the volume of generated hydroelectric power, for example. It's all interconnected in a kind of bleak vicious circle. And because it's all so complex, populists around the world are rubbing their hands with glee as they sow discord on this and other issues (migration, corona ...) among people looking for easy answers. Informed dissent and constructive criticism are good, but the knee-jerk, never-constructive outpourings of the bad political actors make me want to tear my hair out (yes, I've seen my profile photo ...).

P.L.F. Persio
Jan Truper
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney
Andy Li

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Because ... Feb 25, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

Renewables are the world's cheapest energy source -- especially if you factor in consequential costs.

... with coal and nuclear energy, the consequential costs were excluded, e.g. long-term handling of nuclear waste, the current climate catastrophes etc. A modern, safe and socially responsible life to any extent is complex and therefore not to have for free or for cheap money. One day we all have to pay a very high price for "bread and circuses".

P.L.F. Persio
TonyTK
Jan Truper

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
@Matthias Brombach Feb 26, 2022

That should be sufficient. Thanks, Matthias.

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... I'll be waiting for the source you quoted from. Meanwhile, you are free to study the following article about the situation for Germany in general concerning coal-fired power plants:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohleausstieg#Deutschland

In English I could provide the following source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_phase-out#Germany
(see point 1.4.6)

Hope, that helps so far.

[Edited at 2022-02-26 11:00 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 26, 2022

Peter Motte wrote

Germany shut down its nuclear reactors after the Fukushima incident, because the greens said that something like that can happen in Europe too (which is a lie),

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

... and that does not even cover the problem of nuclear waste, or dismantling old nuclear power plants.

In Germany, there's still a warning to eat mushrooms from certain parts of the country -- just because it happened to rain there 35 years ago, a few days after the Chernobyl accident, which was about 1000 miles away.

If I was a maniac with mid-sized weaponry, I could make parts of Europe inhabitable for eons.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Electrify everything Feb 26, 2022

An interesting perspective.

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2022/02/saul-griffith-electrify-everything-solution-save-humanity/622911/

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Not quite Feb 27, 2022

Paul Lambert wrote:

No. Inflation is, by definition, is the increase in the money supply.

It's not the definition, Paul, but it is frequently a root cause. Inflation can occur without any increase in the money supply. By the same token, the money supply can increase without causing inflation.

LIZ LI

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Breaks or no breaks Feb 28, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

Peter Motte wrote

Germany shut down its nuclear reactors after the Fukushima incident, because the greens said that something like that can happen in Europe too (which is a lie),

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

... and that does not even cover the problem of nuclear waste, or dismantling old nuclear power plants.

In Germany, there's still a warning to eat mushrooms from certain parts of the country -- just because it happened to rain there 35 years ago, a few days after the Chernobyl accident, which was about 1000 miles away.

If I was a maniac with mid-sized weaponry, I could make parts of Europe inhabitable for eons.

Chernobyl was a completely different type of reactor, built less safe because that was faster and cheaper.
It worked well, as long as all parameters staid within design values. Which means there was no room for error.
Demoting nuclear reactors because of that accident, is like demoting cars because a car with no breaks got an accident.

Joe France
Gerard Barry

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 28, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

Chernobyl was a completely different type of reactor, built less safe because that was faster and cheaper.
It worked well, as long as all parameters staid within design values. Which means there was no room for error.
Demoting nuclear reactors because of that accident, is like demoting cars because a car with no breaks got an accident.

2 quotes from the Wikipedia article I linked:

"The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) has concluded that technical innovation cannot eliminate the risk of human errors in nuclear plant operation."

"An interdisciplinary team from MIT has estimated that given the expected growth of nuclear power from 2005 to 2055, at least four serious nuclear accidents would be expected in that period."

Christopher Schröder
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
P.L.F. Persio

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Measurements Feb 28, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:
2 quotes from the Wikipedia article I linked:

"The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) has concluded that technical innovation cannot eliminate the risk of human errors in nuclear plant operation."

"An interdisciplinary team from MIT has estimated that given the expected growth of nuclear power from 2005 to 2055, at least four serious nuclear accidents would be expected in that period."

The problem with Chernobyl was not human error.
Furthermore such remarks are rather useless, because human error is always a factor.
Also: what do they call "serious nuclear accidents"?

Nowadays we have a clear worldwide problem because of CO2 emmissions. Worldwide. There is no hiding.
Is putting al available space full of windmills and solare panels a solution? I don't think so.
Moreover: windmills nor solar panels grow on trees, so to speak.
Not that I'm against windmills or solar panels, I just don't see them covering all energy needs.

xiaobeigm
xiaobeigm
Australia
English to Chinese
+ ...
After the epidemic Mar 3, 2022

After the epidemic, inflation is generally affected by three factors: money, aggregate demand and aggregate supply. Since the United States has issued more than 2.2 trillion of its money during the epidemic, and other countries have also adopted a policy of quantitative easing, all money supply must have increased. Various industries are delayed to return to work, most people live at home, and consumption in the tourism and catering industries is suspended, and these demand may also usher in a p... See more
After the epidemic, inflation is generally affected by three factors: money, aggregate demand and aggregate supply. Since the United States has issued more than 2.2 trillion of its money during the epidemic, and other countries have also adopted a policy of quantitative easing, all money supply must have increased. Various industries are delayed to return to work, most people live at home, and consumption in the tourism and catering industries is suspended, and these demand may also usher in a peak after the end of the epidemic, so the total demand is also increasing. It is difficult for enterprises to resume work during the epidemic, and some small and medium-sized enterprises will be cleaned by the market because of factors such as capital chain and production capacity. After the epidemic, people's demand for consumption increases, and it is very difficult to keep up with the supply in a short time, so the total supply is falling.

In short, from the perspective of currency, the increase of market liquidity will have a certain impact on inflation, but the impact of money on inflation is long-term, and the effect in a short period of time is not obvious. From the perspective of total demand and total supply, there may be a situation in which the total demand is greater than the total supply in the short term. So, there will be inflation, but within a reasonable range.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I stopped reading when.... Mar 3, 2022

.....I got to "we have to power the electrification of modern life with zero-carbon sources such as solar, wind, and nuclear"

Nuclear power is not zero-carbon. And it's also the most toxic form of energy generation that was ever invented.

Jo Macdonald
Angie Garbarino

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2022

[Edited at 2022-03-03 20:33 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices and inflation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »