Thread poster: Peter Motte
Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:15
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Erm... inflation? Apr 10, 2022

We have only minor signs of inflation here. A loaf of bread costs less than 0.5 USD, and a pound of meat costs 2 USD only. In winter we have -25 C outside but I wear almost nothing while in my house, beacuse it's +27 C inside, and my monthly bill for heating is about 15 USD only. Food, energy and water are cheap as hell here.

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:15
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No accurate Apr 10, 2022

TonyTK wrote:

Peter Motte wrote:

Germany shut down its nuclear reactors after the Fukushima incident, because the greens said that something like that can happen in Europe too (which is a lie),

... that's not the case. The Greens weren't in power at the time; it was the centre-right government (CDU-FDP) under Angela Merkel that pushed for nuclear exit after Fukushima.

No offence, but there are multiple inaccuracies in just the one sentence.

It's not because Green is not in the government, that they can't topple the elections. CDU could lose votes because of it, and lose its place in comparison with other parties.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Apr 10, 2022

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:
In winter we have -25 C outside but I wear almost nothing while in my house, beacuse it's +27 C inside...

Especially our colleagues in the world's coastal regions will very much appreciate this picture, I assume.

TonyTK
Christopher Schröder
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Peter Motte
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Francesca Grandinetti

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
27C Apr 16, 2022

How can anybody stand 27C?

P.L.F. Persio
writeaway

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
When naked! Apr 16, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

... which was the natural state of mankind, before our ancestors left Africa to regions, where humans depended on heat produced by hydrocarbons.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-04-17 06:19 GMT]

Mark Fessenden

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yeah, but Apr 17, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

I thought the same, but then I remembered that, in my youth, I spent two winters in Russia – one in the steppe of the Volgograd oblast', the other in Moscow – and you really need to have a quite high temperature inside in order to keep the cold away.
And, believe you me, that is a biting, terrible, out-to-get-you kind of cold.

Zamira B.

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
German Green party May 18, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

That seems a bit selfish.

I suppose so, yes. But I am still sometimes shocked when the comfortably off seem not to care about those less wealthy than themselves. It's like all the "green people" here in Germany: they're usually high earners and don't seem to care that poorer people might have difficulty heating their homes thanks to Germany's obsession with expensive renewable energy.

well, they are not at all obsessed with renewal energies anymore lately, nor with all their fromer principles 😁

Gerard Barry

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. May 22, 2022

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

That seems a bit selfish.

I suppose so, yes. But I am still sometimes shocked when the comfortably off seem not to care about those less wealthy than themselves. It's like all the "green people" here in Germany: they're usually high earners and don't seem to care that poorer people might have difficulty heating their homes thanks to Germany's obsession with expensive renewable energy.

well, they are not at all obsessed with renewal energies anymore lately, nor with all their fromer principles 😁

Yes, that's true! Their attitude to war in particular has changed.

JamesPH90
JamesPH90
United States
Local time: 15:15
English to Irish
+ ...
$5 for a single tomato Jun 4, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

In Boston, $5 for a single tomato and nearly $5 for a loaf of bread. Biden's America. No longer energy independent.
You are getting ripped off. In Whole Foods Westland Ave Boston it is currently $2.29/lb.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Health May End Up Suffering, Shorten Lifespan Jun 6, 2022

The price of certain foodstuffs is going up here in the US on what seems like an almost daily basis, partly because of shortages of things like meat (which is forcing some people to resort to eating a lot of peanut butter to make sure than can get enough protein). And can you believe it, even the cost of pasta (a pre-prepared, single slice of meat lasagna at the grocery store put me back about 9 dollars the other day!), because of current governmental regulations, which have nothing to do with p... See more
The price of certain foodstuffs is going up here in the US on what seems like an almost daily basis, partly because of shortages of things like meat (which is forcing some people to resort to eating a lot of peanut butter to make sure than can get enough protein). And can you believe it, even the cost of pasta (a pre-prepared, single slice of meat lasagna at the grocery store put me back about 9 dollars the other day!), because of current governmental regulations, which have nothing to do with prosperity of any kind, except for that of the so-called elite, is starting to get out of control. If the US government isn't going to allow most people to have a healthy diet, that's just another way to shorten the latter's lifespan.

[Edited at 2022-06-06 19:02 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices and inflation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »