Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Non-payment of invoice and no reason given.
Thread poster: JamesPH90
JamesPH90
JamesPH90
United States
Local time: 13:58
English to Irish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2022

I have been working with an Irish-based translation agency for the past few months. The work is coming in thick and fast and I find the project managers to be competent and professional. However, the agency has not paid an invoice which I sent on 1 April 2022 (the most recent invoice which I sent at the beginning of May is also overdue). They have a 30-day payment policy.

I have not received negative feedback or complaints for my work and I believe I operate at a fairly high standa
... See more
I have been working with an Irish-based translation agency for the past few months. The work is coming in thick and fast and I find the project managers to be competent and professional. However, the agency has not paid an invoice which I sent on 1 April 2022 (the most recent invoice which I sent at the beginning of May is also overdue). They have a 30-day payment policy.

I have not received negative feedback or complaints for my work and I believe I operate at a fairly high standard. I reminded the agency on three occasions that the invoice was overdue but have not received a satisfactory response as of yet. I was initially told by the Payroll team that they would "look into it", this was about 2 weeks ago, but have heard nothing since despite sending a reminder notice in the meantime. There is a significant sum of money involved.

Should I continue taking on jobs for this agency, and risk not getting paid for it? I would be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar experience with a translation agency (i.e non-payment of invoices, no reasons given etc.).

Any info/advice/comments/thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,
Cillian
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Non-payment Jun 4, 2022

You need to stop working for this agency immediately and give them a big fat "1" on the Blue Board entry form. If that doesn't work, you need to threaten legal action. There is no reason you should wait. Truth be told, I have not fared well with Irish agencies and no longer deal with them. They seem to have a totally different concept of time.

Thayenga
Thomas T. Frost
Tom in London
Dalia Nour
Emanuele Vacca
Rachel Waddington
Philip Lees

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:58
English to French
30-day payment policy Jun 4, 2022

CillianH wrote:
...an invoice which I sent on 1 April 2022 (the most recent invoice which I sent at the beginning of May is also overdue). They have a 30-day payment policy...

When it means "30 days after the end of the month when your invoice was issued", they're only a few days late.
A good practice is to send your invoices at the END of the month, not at the beginning. This way, the "30-day payment policy" becomes a "30-day payment policy", where you're paid a month after submitting your invoice.
All this may be written somewhere in the paperwork you may have signed.

Philippe

Kevin Fulton
Tina Vonhof (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Edward Potter

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Non payment report Jun 4, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

You need to stop working for this agency immediately and give them a big fat "1" on the Blue Board entry form

1 and non payment report, so the staff can look in to it

Good luck!

expressisverbis
Christine Andersen
Becca Resnik

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
30 days is 30 days Jun 4, 2022

Philippe Etienne wrote:

CillianH wrote:
...an invoice which I sent on 1 April 2022 (the most recent invoice which I sent at the beginning of May is also overdue). They have a 30-day payment policy...

When it means "30 days after the end of the month when your invoice was issued", they're only a few days late.
A good practice is to send your invoices at the END of the month, not at the beginning. This way, the "30-day payment policy" becomes a "30-day payment policy", where you're paid a month after submitting your invoice.

Philippe

30 days end of month is not the same as 30 days

expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
non-payment of invoice Jun 4, 2022

Beware of payment terms such as "The end of the month following the month of delivery". This can end up as 60 days. Avoid.

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
Edward Potter

Michael Newton
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
non-payment of invoice Jun 4, 2022

Perhaps the leprechauns and other wee folk have made off with your money.

Thayenga

JamesPH90
JamesPH90
United States
English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Policy Jun 4, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Philippe Etienne wrote:

CillianH wrote:

Philippe

30 days end of month is not the same as 30 days
Their policy is the invoices are sent at the beginning of the month and then paid out 30 days thereafter.

[Edited at 2022-06-04 14:21 GMT]

JamesPH90
JamesPH90
United States
English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Irish agencies Jun 4, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

You need to stop working for this agency immediately and give them a big fat "1" on the Blue Board entry form. If that doesn't work, you need to threaten legal action. There is no reason you should wait. Truth be told, I have not fared well with Irish agencies and no longer deal with them. They seem to have a totally different concept of time.

I'd love to know which Irish agencies you have worked with as there are not many of them around. The agency in question is the biggest in Ireland. Thanks for your advice.

JamesPH90
JamesPH90
United States
English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
30-day Policy Jun 4, 2022

Philippe Etienne wrote:

CillianH wrote:

Philippe
I was told the invoices would be paid at the end of the month (on the last business day) in which they were submitted. So, the April 1st invoice should have been paid on April 29. Unfortunately, there is nothing about their payment policy in any documents I signed. Their "payment policy" was just explained in an email when I first reached out to them. This is a prominent agency, with significant contracts with government bodies and I had no reason to believe they are a shady organisation.

Thanks for your response!

JamesPH90
JamesPH90
United States
English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Non payment report Jun 4, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:

You need to stop working for this agency immediately and give them a big fat "1" on the Blue Board entry form

1 and non payment report, so the staff can look in to it

Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Checking outsourcers before accepting any jobs is a must. Jun 4, 2022

Hi Cillian,

Have you checked the Blue Board BEFORE accepting jobs form them? This outsourcer is a bad payer, actually, they are banned from posting jobs at ProZ.com since several years.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

JamesPH90
JamesPH90
United States
English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checking outsourcers before accepting any jobs is a must Jun 4, 2022

Natalie wrote:

Hi Cillian,

Have you checked the Blue Board BEFORE accepting jobs form them? This outsourcer is a bad payer, actually, they are banned from posting jobs at ProZ.com since several years.

Hi, no I did not check the Blue Board. I had never heard of the Blue Board up until a few days ago, to be honest. I worked as an in-house translator previously so my freelance experience is limited. I'll put it out there that they owe me approx. EUR 9,000 in unpaid, overdue invoices.
Thanks for your response.

[Edited at 2022-06-04 19:48 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:58
Danish to English
+ ...
Debt collection agency Jun 5, 2022

I would contact an Irish debt collection agency now, simultaneously informing the client that this will be done and that they will be taken to court if the debt is not settled in full within eight days.

You could also add a low score to www.paymentpractices.net to warn your colleagues.
... See more
I would contact an Irish debt collection agency now, simultaneously informing the client that this will be done and that they will be taken to court if the debt is not settled in full within eight days.

You could also add a low score to www.paymentpractices.net to warn your colleagues.

I would also check in the Irish company register if the company actually exists.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Christine Andersen

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Payment Jun 5, 2022

CillianH wrote:

Natalie wrote:

Hi Cillian,

Hi, no I did not check the Blue Board. I had never heard of the Blue Board up until a few days ago, to be honest. I worked as an in-house translator previously so my freelance experience is limited. I'll put it out there that they owe me approx. EUR 9,000 in unpaid, overdue invoices.
Thanks for your response.

[Edited at 2022-06-04 19:48 GMT]

I started out thinking that you need to give them more time. Now alarm bells are going off.

The main thing is that they have a bad Blue Board rating and are banned from Proz. Another worrying thing is that they are up to 9k euros in debt to you.

You need to act immediately. Some possible things you can do are:
- Call them on the phone. Keep trying.
- Visit them, if you are local to them.
- Find a local debt collector.
- Give them a "1" on the Blue Board.
- Consider hiring a lawyer.

Good luck!

Philippe Etienne

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-payment of invoice and no reason given.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »