Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Course in proofreading - waste of money?
Thread poster: Paul Carmichael
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I've been wondering about doing it Oct 4, 2012

Carolyn Yohn wrote:
I strongly recommend finding a course through a local college or community center. (In the Washington, DC area, EE/I Communications is good.)

That's all very well if you live in a country where they speak your target (and/or proofreading) language, but here in Spain I seriously doubt that there are any English in-person courses. There certainly aren't any on my little Canary Island.

I like the look of this course very much. I looked at it several months ago but decided to wait until after my move to Spain, where I'd be allowed to claim business expenses (not possible for some freelancers in France). Now I look at it again there seems to be a slight addition: there are now some optional on-line exercises related (I believe) to on-screen proofreading.

Even though much of it's on paper, I'm still interested and I'd like to hear from others that have done it.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:36
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes. It will also give you a good idea of how others will read your texts Oct 5, 2012

Fiona Kirton wrote:

I did the same course myself some time ago and in my view it was money well spent. First of all, the use of "ancient" symbols and proofreading on paper is still widespread within the publishing industry. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the course gives a very good grounding in proofreading skills that are just as relevant when doing revision on screen as they are when doing it on paper.

Fiona is right.

No matter how "superb" you consider your own skills.

Your editor / proofreader is your test market, even with legal texts. The crux with delivering the perfect text:

- Some proofreaders consider themselves more "superb" than you - wayyy too superb to ever take a class but they do it anyway
- The translator is way too superb to consider a silly little double-blank space or American or French punctuation in a German text a typo and starts to argue with the proofreader instead of saying "Thanks! Good catch!"
- The young translator considers quality a thing of the last century because he is, like, totally superb.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The ancient symbol system Oct 5, 2012

Paul Carmichael wrote:

I think I may have just wasted GBP400.

I ordered a course in proofreading. I have just found out that it uses some ancient symbol system, employing these little sticks called "pens".

Is this really of any use in this century?

It is a means of communication. If you want to work on highly paid proofing projects (first thing you will learn in this class is to never mix up proofing with proofreading), you need to learn this stuff. There is no such thing as any advertising firm or publisher willing to send you a 70MB or 170MB or 700MB print file loaded with high-resolution pictures via email (not because you couldn't upload such files onto your FTP-sites or so, but because your PC-settings are most likely to screw up the print files as soon as you save them) or to be willing to create a cutesy little extra low-res PDF extra for you, or to be willing to convert a 300-pages, fully layouted book with illustrations or photos or an entire catalog back into a Word-file - simply because you consider this established way of marking errors "ancient".

Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:36
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Oct 5, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

- The young translator considers quality a thing of the last century because he is, like, totally superb.

I don't know if that refers in any way to my comments about ancient symbols etc., but best you know that I'm anything but "young" (just turned 51 last week). Also I was considering the course (in fact I actually paid for it) in the hope of improving my proofreading skills. It was only when I realised that it was paper-based that I kicked up.

So let's not change this thread into having a pop at these "totally superb" translators that refuse to take courses, eh?

Paul Carmichael
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
So, we're all agreed then? Oct 5, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It is a means of communication. If you want to work on highly paid proofing projects (first thing you will learn in this class is to never mix up proofing with proofreading), you need to learn this stuff. There is no such thing as any advertising firm or publisher willing to send you a 70MB or 170MB or 700MB print file loaded with high-resolution pictures via email (not because you couldn't upload such files onto your FTP-sites or so, but because your PC-settings are most likely to screw up the print files as soon as you save them) or to be willing to create a cutesy little extra low-res PDF extra for you, or to be willing to convert a 300-pages, fully layouted book with illustrations or photos or an entire catalog back into a Word-file - simply because you consider this established way of marking errors "ancient".

I don't want to work on highly paid proofing projects, nor will I be working with any "700MB print file loaded with high-resolution pictures".

I am not working in the "publishing" industry, with it's writing sticks etc., I am a translator who is sent word/pdf files etc. to translate or proofread. So, in answer to my original question, it would appear that yes, I made the right decision in having a refund. Even the people selling the course said so.

Thanks everyone for you input. Definitely will do some sort of training if I can find something suitable. But it will not be paper-based

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Overkill Oct 5, 2012

That's the problem with any course that isn't specifically designed for translators. Its always overkill. But just the non-foreign language related proofreading part of the course alone would probably make for a pretty weak course. Personally, I'm studying a law degree for the purposes translating and it is clearly overkill. But there is no other way I can access the information I need.

If you wish to improve your own translations and have time on your hands, you can reread your own
... See more
That's the problem with any course that isn't specifically designed for translators. Its always overkill. But just the non-foreign language related proofreading part of the course alone would probably make for a pretty weak course. Personally, I'm studying a law degree for the purposes translating and it is clearly overkill. But there is no other way I can access the information I need.

If you wish to improve your own translations and have time on your hands, you can reread your own translations about 2 weeks after you finished them. That way, you will have completely forgotten them, and you can see if any improvements can be made. If you wanted to improve your proofreading skills to proofread someone else's translations, then I don't have any advice. I simply don't offer proofreading. The quality of the translation can be very poor, I could end up working far too much for too little pay (that's my main concern) and I don't wish to get involved in any sticky situations with any other translators, agencies etc. Why create office politics?
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Brian Mossop's book may help Oct 5, 2012

Brian Mossop:
Revising and Editing for Translators
St. Jerome Publishing: Translation practices explained
and one of these two numbers,
ISBN-10: 1-900650-96-7
ISBN-13: 978-1-900650-96-0

It includes detailed coverage of a widerange of topics including:
·copyediting
·stylistic editing
·structural editing
·checking for consistency
·use of computer aids
·revision parameters
·degrees of revision
... See more
Brian Mossop:
Revising and Editing for Translators
St. Jerome Publishing: Translation practices explained
and one of these two numbers,
ISBN-10: 1-900650-96-7
ISBN-13: 978-1-900650-96-0

It includes detailed coverage of a widerange of topics including:
·copyediting
·stylistic editing
·structural editing
·checking for consistency
·use of computer aids
·revision parameters
·degrees of revision
·self-revision
·quality assessment

It is definitely a book you need to read and possibly re-read a chapter at a time, and needs discussing and digesting, but it is moderately priced and you can read it in your own time if you can't get to a course.
Collapse

RitaMackay
RitaMackay  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:36
English to Portuguese
Course in Editing and Revision for Translators Oct 5, 2012

I came across this online course:

http://www.miis.edu/academics/short/translation-interpretation

Editing and Revision for Translators

Professor Malcolm Williams

Date: TBD 2013
30 hours

Multilingual
Tuition: $1100 USD

Seems to be a bit on
... See more
I came across this online course:

http://www.miis.edu/academics/short/translation-interpretation

Editing and Revision for Translators

Professor Malcolm Williams

Date: TBD 2013
30 hours

Multilingual
Tuition: $1100 USD

Seems to be a bit on the expensive side but maybe it'll be worth contacting the university for further information.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aah, so you want to learn copy-editing Oct 5, 2012

Paul Carmichael wrote:
I am not working in the "publishing" industry, with it's writing sticks etc., I am a translator who is sent word/pdf files etc. to translate or proofread.

Perhaps you're not aware, so forgive me if I say something you already know, but the word "proofreading" is a much abused word that means different things to different people. The proofreading meant in the current course probably doesn't relate to the types of language errors or translation errors that agencies want their "proofreaders" to catch.

What you want to learn, I think, is copy-editing... not proofreading. I understand that many agencies, clients and translators use the term "proofreading" to mean copy-editing, but I think you should search for a course that teaches copy-editing specifically (and a clue would be that such a course would be more language-specific than a proofreading course).

Samuel

Paul Carmichael
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Terminology Oct 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Perhaps you're not aware, so forgive me if I say something you already know, but the word "proofreading" is a much abused word that means different things to different people. The proofreading meant in the current course probably doesn't relate to the types of language errors or translation errors that agencies want their "proofreaders" to catch.

What you want to learn, I think, is copy-editing... not proofreading. I understand that many agencies, clients and translators use the term "proofreading" to mean copy-editing, but I think you should search for a course that teaches copy-editing specifically (and a clue would be that such a course would be more language-specific than a proofreading course).

Samuel

I know what you mean, but like it or not, this industry does employ the term "proofreading" to mean something different than it's traditional meaning. Call it what you like, but it's checking and correcting at the end of the day - normally employing the "track changes" feature of MSWord and now Trados.

I'm currently looking for a course aimed at translators. There must be some out there that would suit. What I'm largely after is a qualification to be able to boast about

Thanks for your comments. All taken in. But we're living in a revolution.

Paul Carmichael
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reading up on it now... Oct 5, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel

Currently reading this:

http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/faqs/fedit.asp

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Great article! Oct 5, 2012

Paul Carmichael wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel

Currently reading this:

http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/faqs/fedit.asp

It should be featured in the ProZ.com article section. It also should be sent to the majority of PMs all over the world.

Paul Carmichael
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Profile Oct 5, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It should be featured in the ProZ.com article section. It also should be sent to the majority of PMs all over the world.

I just went to change my proz profile ie; remove proofreading, but the category is called "Editing/proofreading". Perhaps that should be changed?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It has been requested Oct 5, 2012

Paul Carmichael wrote:
I just went to change my proz profile ie; remove proofreading, but the category is called "Editing/proofreading". Perhaps that should be changed?

This change has been requested and it has been denied. ProZ.com does not believe in the difference between translation checking, copy-editing, typographic proofreading and galley proofreading.

Carolyn Yohn
Carolyn Yohn  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
young translator weighs in Oct 5, 2012

Paul Carmichael wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

So let's not change this thread into having a pop at these "totally superb" translators that refuse to take courses, eh?

I'm a young translator, and I took one of these courses, and have been advocating that all translators look into learning this skill.

I should clarify, too, that these reason this particular course looked questionable to me was that the important section--the how-to-approach-the-task part---is limited to a brief section of the introduction only. For a translator, who already is familiar with language nuances and potential weaknesses in his/her own writing, it's more important to learn methods for improving accuracy and efficiency. It's like the difference between learning your source language grammar by rote and learning how to take apart a text to translate it well.

In any case, I'm glad we've convinced you to keep hunting for a good class in your area, whatever the format may be. Good luck, and happy translating!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Course in proofreading - waste of money?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »